Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone mounted a turkey?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone mounted a turkey?

    Harvested my first turkey on the last day of the season here in NC. 9 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch spurs. I am looking into getting him mounted but am unsure how I want to do it. Does anyone have a turkey mounted that they would like to share a picture of? I am thinking about getting him done in strut or either hanging up by his feet with his fan and wings out but I cannot decide how if I want him hanging on the wall or sitting in a corner on furniture/on the floor. Also open to other suggestions or recommendations on mounting orientation. Thanks in advance for any suggestion or picture!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mattman View Post
    Harvested my first turkey on the last day of the season here in NC. 9 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch spurs. I am looking into getting him mounted but am unsure how I want to do it. Does anyone have a turkey mounted that they would like to share a picture of? I am thinking about getting him done in strut or either hanging up by his feet with his fan and wings out but I cannot decide how if I want him hanging on the wall or sitting in a corner on furniture/on the floor. Also open to other suggestions or recommendations on mounting orientation. Thanks in advance for any suggestion or picture!
    How much money do you wish to spend ? What you describe will not be cheap.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

      How much money do you wish to spend ? What you describe will not be cheap.
      I have talked to buddy of mine that has had a few of his done and he said it would run around $600 to do one in strut.

      Comment


      • #4
        Mattman, as a former taxidermist I can honestly say that a quality strutting turkey mount would cost around $800 and up, considering the base work and setting. If you have a strut mount done, I would recommend it be placed in a glass case as this type of mount is very difficult to keep free of dust, or to clean if becoming dusty. The hanging ‘dead bird’ look is a very good looking position and is easier to clean. Don’t get too tied up on price, I have never seen cheap work that looked anything other than just that, cheap !

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          Mattman, as a former taxidermist I can honestly say that a quality strutting turkey mount would cost around $800 and up, considering the base work and setting. If you have a strut mount done, I would recommend it be placed in a glass case as this type of mount is very difficult to keep free of dust, or to clean if becoming dusty. The hanging ‘dead bird’ look is a very good looking position and is easier to clean. Don’t get too tied up on price, I have never seen cheap work that looked anything other than just that, cheap !
          I was thinking at least one thousand, there are a few folks around here that do quality work and charge accordingly.
          Our budget when I shot my first turkey 30 years ago would have never allowed that to happen.
          Just a head ( fake as the real one was shot up so much ) chest & fan. Thinking that was around $150-200.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have seen the full body skin (cape?) mounted in a nice frame behind glass with a photo of the shooter and bird included. Looks very nice. Also room for the tag. Nice thing is you get all the color retained because the skin is mounted behind UV glass. Birds not behind glass tend to have colour wash out fairly quickly, especially if displayed anywhere the sun can get to them. The framed cape is much easier to maintain because moths and dust can't get to it. Cleaning a mounted bird is a pain in the butt. Your significant other might also appreciate the cape is displayed much handier flat against a wall. Let's see if I can find an example on the net ... yes, several but none behind glass. That's the way I would go if I was doing it. The wooden display panel in the one image is easily ordered from several outlets on line. Be aware that the "barnboard" ones are fake wood. Some kind of foam/resin crap. Treating the skin is an easy enough matter. Peg the skin feathers down to a board with everything in position for display. Carefully scrape all the fat off, coat skin with Borax and let sit for a couple of days. Then spread a thin layer of Bondo over skin to hold to keep it from shrinking or curling. I would probably use a thin piece of fibre board cut roughly size of cape as backing for support and Bondo to it. Then screw to the backside of the mounting board. Very quick and easy. My daughter has done several tail displays. I would be surprised if a taxidermist charges a lot for doing the whole skin. Building a display case would cost a bit more of course but if he charged $500 for the whole works it would almost be a ripoff. There's just not much to it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Daughter and I finished up this turkey tail/beard mount today for same client who had her do one last year. For whatever reason he prefers the fake barnboard from supplier (who has them on back order). I made this real deal barn board mount last year but it wasn't what he wanted. I stuck this year's bird in it to hang up and free up work bench space while we await back order.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah, once, but it wasn't what I expected.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  Yeah, once, but it wasn't what I expected.
                  Betting you went the cheap route and got what you paid for......per BHR thoughts !

                  Comment

                  Welcome!

                  Collapse

                  Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                  If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                  And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                  Right Rail 1

                  Collapse

                  Top Active Users

                  Collapse

                  There are no top active users.

                  Right Rail 2

                  Collapse

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  • Obstruction Question !
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                    Today, 10:41 AM
                  • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                    Today, 06:43 PM
                  • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                    by buckhunter
                    Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                    Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                  • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                    by Solitario Lupo
                    So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                    Today, 06:20 PM
                  • Peripheral Vision
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                    Today, 07:39 AM

                  Right Rail 3

                  Collapse

                  Footer Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X