Easter turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter turkey

Allow me to introduce “the boy’s” younger sister. I’ve been looking forward to this for sometime now, and I’m happy to report she got it done this morning. Just by a quirk of the calendar NY’s youth turkey weekend happened to fall on Easter weekend this year.

Our hunt really began yesterday, with a six hour ground blind sit in the rain. We were set up at 5:45, five minutes in a hen answered my soft yelps and comes cruising in with two others. They feed around us for an hour before “mouthy” goes on a five minute tirade which lights up a tom. He’s coming but the hens head his way first. For a couple hours we hear them on and off. It’s been raining most of the time, but finally it lets up and we make a move. About 150 yards out a tom lets loose below us. We reposition, I call and he answers, and again closer. Then nothing. Rain picks up hard again so we head back to the blind. About 11:30 it lets up and the kids decide we should make a run for the house and lunch. Day over.

Cont......

​​​​​​​

This Easter morning breaks partly cloudy and 50*. The three of us are back at it the same time with a few hours before church.

We’re set up five minutes again and chaos breaks out. Before I even let out a squeak “ole mouthy” from yesterday lets rip from the roost out in front to the east. Multiple toms fire back. I hit the Lynch box and everyone lights up. We repeat a few minutes and the boy sees two toms through a slit in the south window headed for the front. They’re 10 yards out and only need to go a few more feet to step in front of the open east window. They stop cold and start to circle back around behind us, but we have an open window to the north as well. I get my daughter spun sideways towards that window. They’re in the same positionnow as on the opposite side and “cluck” comes from behind. A hen with a jake in tow. The toms spin back and start heading towards the other birds. I let loose on the Lynch box and the toms hammer back, plus “mouthy” to the east and another gobbler off her way. The two toms then head back on their original course a bit further out. Now I get both kids spun again and the boy gets the south window down just in time. She’s up, he’s up but the birds aren’t quite clear of the opening. I tell her to shoot as soon as she can, they step out but she won’t fire because they are moving. I putt on a mouth call and they freeze. They boy asks “when are you going to shoo....” BLAM!!!
    First bird drops in a heap, the second pulls a Barry Sanders and is off. The boy hisses “Call....call” to me to get the tom to stop but I’m focused on my daughter and her bird. He holds off, I tell her to get her bird.

Hunt over, except for hugs, pics and texts.
    Last edited by fitch270; 04-21-2019, 09:05 PM.

Comment

The particulars;

Gun: Mossberg 500 Bantam 20ga, pink camo, factory full choke. Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on a Weaver rear base.

Load: Winchester heavy game, 1oz #6’s

Distance: 18 yards paced.

Bird: 17lbs, 13/16” spurs, 8 1/2” beard
      Last edited by fitch270; 04-21-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

You made my day guys, thanks for posting. Red dots are turkey shotguns & kids best friends. So much easier. Congratulations again guys. Beautiful Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          You made my day guys, thanks for posting. Red dots are turkey shotguns & kids best friends. So much easier. Congratulations again guys. Beautiful Tom.

It's my pleasure Dewman, glad you enjoyed it.

The kid's impressed me Saturday with their determination to stick it out, Sunday was definitely the reward. It was the most exciting 20 minutes of turkey hunting I've ever experienced. As much as a double would have been cool I'm glad the boy let his sister have her moment in the sun. He was a bit frustrated at first but turned it off quick. We'll have other chances to pull that off. I wish non hunters would understand how hunting can developed a kid's maturity. The awe on my girls face, then the smile was incredible.

Comment

You already have my warm thoughts in an email. A great, great day.

Mine was a memorable Easter in another way. Grandson Parker went to church with me and was golden as usual, quietly building a house of cards on the pew with hymnals and prayer books (quite an edifice for a five year-old ... an engineer in the making). His mom had to excuse herself to ensure the Easter bunny visited Papa's house (which Papa was supposed to do Saturday night but nodded off on the couch watching TV). Later we all went for a drive to a provincial park and saw a surprising number of deer that had survived the harsh winter. Parker napped on the way back to town and then we took in the "Shazam" movie. Very cute and a great kids flick. They can really relate to a grownup superhero who acts like a kid ... because he actually is a kid. Anyway, Parker really got into it. Right on the edge of his seat. Twice in the movie he let loose with a unique laugh that was EXACTLY my late son Wesley (which also very much resembled my late mom's). My daughter and I looked at each other, jaws dropped, then tears welled up. Wes would have been 23 last week. He is risen again ... sort of.

P.S. Forget about taking kids to see "Hellboy!!" I saw it a couple nights ago. Gory to the point of being stupid. The most blood and guts I have ever seen on a screen. In fact, more than I have seen in real life and that's saying something. Gross! More than liberal use of the four letter words too. Script was written by a moron. Lots of special effects ... but one almost needed a barf bag to watch them.
            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 04-22-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Learning to sit through church quietly was great training to get my kids to sit on stand as well as they do. More parents ought to try it, for other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                The particulars;

Gun: Mossberg 500 Bantam 20ga, pink camo, factory full choke. Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on a Weaver rear base.

Load: Winchester heavy game, 1oz #6’s

Distance: 18 yards paced.

Bird: 17lbs, 13/16” spurs, 8 1/2” beard
                Congrats to all, especially to the young Fitch lady !
                Can a non harvest youth tag be used for additional seasons ? They changed that last year here as the early youth season can bring weather that doesn't help the bagging of a turkey quite often.
                👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Congrats to all, especially to the young Fitch lady !
                  Can a non harvest youth tag be used for additional seasons ? They changed that last year here as the early youth season can bring weather that doesn't help the bagging of a turkey quite often.
                  👍👍
                  Yes sir.
                  There aren’t actually youth tags for the youth weekend, the kids get two spring tags the same as everyone else. They can actually only fill one tag on the youth weekend. Any unfilled tags are good for the general season.

Five tags left in the house, season opens May 1’st.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    Learning to sit through church quietly was great training to get my kids to sit on stand as well as they do. More parents ought to try it, for other reasons.
                    👍👍 to that thought

Comment

Very nice! That's a heartwarmer for sure; I like how you describe "the awe and then the smile." Congratulations to all the Fitch family turkey-hunters.

I hadn't realized they'd moved the youth weekend back this year. Thinking it was the weekend right before May 1st as usual, I was out roaming around Saturday morning with no thought of it. I'm very glad I didn't go stumbling through anyone's hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                        Very nice! That's a heartwarmer for sure; I like how you describe "the awe and then the smile." Congratulations to all the Fitch family turkey-hunters.

I hadn't realized they'd moved the youth weekend back this year. Thinking it was the weekend right before May 1st as usual, I was out roaming around Saturday morning with no thought of it. I'm very glad I didn't go stumbling through anyone's hunt.
                        Actually it wasn’t moved back, there’s always been at least a three day buffer between the youth weekend and the May 1’st opener. The first is a Wednesday this year so that put the youth weekend back one. If the first is Thursday through Sunday the youth weekend will be the one right before. It’s easy to loose track of for sure, especially if you aren’t participating.

And thank you!

Comment

Great story! Thank you for sharing. Didn't know they made pink Mossbergs. Might be one in my near future. I have two granddaughters.

Comment

Originally posted by buckhunter View Post
                            Great story! Thank you for sharing. Didn't know they made pink Mossbergs. Might be one in my near future. I have two granddaughters.
                            I’ve seen them in MuddyGirl camo as well. They do kick though so keep that in mind. Nice to have you back.

Comment

nice article and waiting for such new information and if u looking for School of Nursing then u r at right place

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by Amflyer
                                Got-dammit Mtnhunter, that's not news I'm keen to hear. Keep at it man, and have a blessed Christmas. Slàinte Mhath, and RTR!...
                                Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Yesterday, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                                Yesterday, 03:35 PM
                              • Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X