Attached Files

Comment

This is at 20 yards. Click image for larger version

Name:	525C3D40-9A9E-460A-AC41-893BCEE637B1.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	706826

Comment

Probably wondering why I only patterned my gun for 15,20, 25 yards?

Because where I plan on getting set up, will be bordering private land, where I’m gonna try and lure the turkeys from, and I’m in a wooded area. So ideally I plan on taking a shot at 10 yards-15 yards. As soon as the turkey is clearly on public land.

I will definently not be shooting any further then 25 yards if that. Ideally would be 10-15.

Just kinda working with the landscape and location I’m gonna Hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossberg90MN View Post

Because where I plan on getting set up, will be bordering private land, where I’m gonna try and lure the turkeys from, and I’m in a wooded area. So ideally I plan on taking a shot at 10 yards-15 yards. As soon as the turkey is clearly on public land.

I will definently not be shooting any further then 25 yards if that. Ideally would be 10-15.

If you really think your shot will be @ 10 - 15 yards I would suggest you try your regular mod choke with a good pheasant load of # 5 or # 6 shot. This can be a 2 3/4 inch shell. Pellets on target will most likely be the same and the pattern will be a little larger. If this turkey moves their head just before the shot you will probably miss.
          The pheasant load I suggest from a mod choke will work as well at 25 yards.
          Use the Longbeard as the second shell in case you miss.
          Anything over 6 - 10 pellets in the head & neck is overkill, at all the ranges you patterned at,
          # 5 & # 6 shot will ( highly likely ) pass through and kill the bird.
          Good to hear you are taking the border line into account when setting up shot opportunities 👍

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I've heard that one, too. I've always doubted it, thinking that nature just doesn't work that way -- everything is about reproducing the species. But then I thought: Another part of nature is every male wanting his genes to be the ones getting passed on. So maybe there is something to it.

Still, it sort of suggests a bit of cognitive reasoning on the turkey's part, which we know isn't likely. Maybe it is instinctive, though. If somehow the male can sense that those eggs aren't from his sperm, I wouldn't discount it offhand.

I'm still pretty skeptical, though.
            Matt: I am skeptical that you even posted that thought.....old men tales are worse than old wives tales 😋

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Matt: I am skeptical that you even posted that thought.....old men tales are worse than old wives tales 😋
              I don't understand your comment at all.

Comment

I don't understand your comment at all.
                Then my point was a success 😀 I don't understand why you made yours as the merit of it was......skeptical 😎

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Then my point was a success 😀 I don't understand why you made yours as the merit of it was......skeptical 😎
                  Have you been huffing glue again? I think Fitch was wondering whether we believed it or were skeptical of it, so I just did a little thinking out loud (so to speak).

Comment

Have you been huffing glue again? I think Fitch was wondering whether we believed it or were skeptical of it, so I just did a little thinking out loud (so to speak).
                    No glue, just the intoxicating aroma of spring in Iowa !
                    Really though this is how the internet can be be a cesspool when dubious info is posted as " thinking out loud ".
                    Turkey hunters complain enough, no need to throw gas on that fire 😋
                    Good luck to both of you this spring !

Comment

• Originally posted by Mossberg90MN View Post

Good luck tomorrow ! Rain in the forecast here so I hope yours is better 😀

Comment

• Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

No glue, just the intoxicating aroma of spring in Iowa !
                        Really though this is how the internet can be be a cesspool when dubious info is posted as " thinking out loud ".
                        Turkey hunters complain enough, no need to throw gas on that fire 😋
                        Good luck to both of you this spring !
                        Spring, I feel like you're just looking for another fight, similar to the shot-size thing with Bubba a while back. I have no wish for such, but I have to say: "Dubious info, cesspool," etc. ?!!

I don't think any sensible person reading my comment would think I was trying to post some dubious thing as fact. It's pretty common knowledge among naturalists and hunters that a) nature is mainly concerned with reproduction, and b) most animal males are driven to be the ones in their species to pass on their genes, even if all they know is that they want to have sex. Why do bucks, bulls, toms, etc. fight during mating season? Why do females mate with the winners? It's all a basic part of the survival-of-the-fittest process!

Those are the only points I made with my comment. And really -- gird yourself and try to believe -- I was just thinking of different possibilities, like most people do when they discuss a topic. And I think it was pretty clear that I was saying, "Well, on one hand ... but then, on the other hand ...." Hardly a posting of some dubious fact that would somehow contribute to the internet being a cesspool.

Up until this last comment of yours, I thought we were just having a pleasant "Who knows?" sort of back and forth. Now I really have to wonder what you're all about. I don't think I'm generally known as being full of b.s. on here -- so when I say I'm skeptical of something, but just examining possibilities, then that alone ought to make you pause before climbing up on your sage's pedestal. If nothing else, it's just a matter of good manners.
                        Last edited by MattM37; 04-16-2019, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• First I’d like to apologize to Mossberg90MN for the thread hijack and to say good luck, if you score you’ve earned it.

Secondly, I’ll back Matt up on his last post. I asked the question as it was something I’d never heard before, and while it’s highly unlikely it still seems it could be possible for multiple reasons. I was just curious if anyone else had ever heard of it, wasn’t something I thought would start an issue.
                          Last edited by fitch270; 04-16-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                            First I’d like to apologize to Mossberg90MN for the thread hijack and to say good luck, if you score you’ve earned it.

Secondly, I’ll back Matt up on his last post. I asked the question as it was something I’d never heard before, and while it’s highly unlikely it still seems it could be possible for multiple reasons. I was just curious if anyone else had ever heard of it, wasn’t something I thought would start an issue.
                            Fitch & Matt: as there is enough bad info floating around the net I would hope both of you would realize there are plenty of folks with a poor thought process that would/could see your "thinking out loud" and presume it as fact....... "I saw this post on the net by a turkey hunter so it must be true or have merit" !
                            This is a good conversation to have using the new private post option ?
                            Far as I am concerned this is still a friendly conversation 😀
                            As I said before good luck to both of you this spring !

Comment

• Originally posted by springerman3 View Post
                              Fitch & Matt: as there is enough bad info floating around the net I would hope both of you would realize there are plenty of folks with a poor thought process that would/could see your "thinking out loud" and presume it as fact....... "I saw this post on the net by a turkey hunter so it must be true or have merit" !
                              This is a good conversation to have using the new private post option ?
                              Far as I am concerned this is still a friendly conversation 😀
                              As I said before good luck to both of you this spring !
                              I went wrong hijacking the thread, but I still think the forum was a proper place to bring this up, others may already believe it so why not bust the myth. Not everything on here needs to be a teaching exercise, the place could use more fun discussions. No offense intended, but you seem to ruffle feathers when trying to make a point sometimes. It’s not the message it’s the delivery. That thought process thing.

BTW, you obviously take it as a myth but you didn’t actually state if you’d heard it before? Curious if you have.

Will have the kids out this weekend, ground blind survived high winds Monday night which is good because it’s supposed to rain both days. We have 3 long beards and a couple jakes on camera regularly the past two weeks so optimistic. Just tilled part of a food plot to give them some dirt to scratch in, hoping to get my daughter on one. We got her red dot dialed back in last Saturday, one ounce of high brass 6’s, full choke, pink camo 20ga 500. At 20 yards it will be 🦃 🍗.😜

Good luck to you as well. Any chance you’ll hunt with Phil?

Comment

• Hey guys!

So I did some more research and ended up buying federals 3rd degree turkey load. Such a great pattern! Awesome ammo... I will say that the Longbeard XR is more for longer range then close. 3rd degree gave me fantastic results up to 35 yards. I did a pattern at 40 yards and I wasn’t to happy with it.

Thanks for the best wishes! I appreciate it and best of luck to anyone else going out there!

Man was that piece piece of land crowded! It’s only about 60 acres of huntable land and there must have been 8 trucks in the parking lot. In all honesty I don’t think I’m gonna hunt that spot again because it’s just so crowded. I do feel it could be a good spot if it was just a couple guys out there. Maybe 3 total.

Does thunder always create a shock gobble? While I was out today hunting there was some thunder. I tried to listen for a gobble but heard nothing. I take it that means no gobblers on that piece of land?

Its all good guys, no one hijacked a thread and we’re all just talkin. To be honest the whole egg theory makes some sense because I’ve seen videos of toms attacking dead toms after being shot. It’s like, dude your buddy just got shot, maybe you should run. Instead they beat him up hahah

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad