Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got a good recipe for Quail? I have some pen raised birds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got a good recipe for Quail? I have some pen raised birds.

Anyone got a good recipe for Quail? I have some pen raised birds.

I have a good recipe for frying. Need something for the grill or oven. To fry soak birds overnight in cold water with a T spoon of salt and pinch of garlic powder. Drain, rinse with clean water pat dry, season with ground black pepper dip in 1 cup milk with 1 egg beaten in it. drop into a plastic bag with 2 cups flour shake to coat and fry til golden brown YUM YUM but oh so fattening.

Comment

My favorite is to take the breast and wrap it with bacon (maybe a sliver of japelno if you like it hot) then salt and pepper. My wife and I have cooked this on the grill or in the oven on a broiler pan.

Comment

For frying try marinating overnight in a mixture of milk and hotsauce. Then season self rising flour with salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste. Dredge birds in seasoned flour and deep fry in hot oil.

For grilling I like to marinate them in Italian salad dressing and grill over hot coals. Bruhs with marinade while grilling.

Comment

Take the time to pluck the birds, and fry those birds country fried chicken style. DELICIOUS! That's one of the very best ways to do quail.

Comment

Marinate the birds in fresh crushed garlic, lemon, beer and onions for 24 hours. Lightly egg wash and flour and fry.

Comment

Bacon Wrapped Quail
              Ingredients
              8 quail
              2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
              1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
              1 teaspoon dry mustard
              1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
              8 slices bacon
              1 lemon, quartered
              4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
              1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
              6 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
              1 teaspoon garlic
              1/2 cup dry white wine
              2 cups chicken broth
              1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
              Directions
              Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a deep roasting pan. I.
              In a small bowl, combine 2 t. salt, 1 t. pepper, dry mustard, and garlic powder. On a clean flat surface, lay quail flat: season inside of each cavity with 1/4 t. salt mixture. Reshape quail to form whole bird: tightly wrap a strip of bacon around body to hold it's shape.
              Place quail, breast side up, in prepared pan. Squeeze juice of the quartered lemons over the quail, and scatter the rinds around the pan.
              Bake for 16 minutes; broil for 8 minutes to brown the skin.
              In a small skillet, whisk 1 T. butter & flour together over medium heat; cook until golden brown, whisking constantly. Set aside.
              In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium-high heat; add mushrooms and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes.
              Add wine; cook until liquid is almost gone. Stir in broth, 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, thyme and the flour mixture. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 6 minutes, or until mixture bubbles and thickens,..Enjoy and Serve it well to Family or Friends!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad