Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i need a dog vest for waterfowl hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i need a dog vest for waterfowl hunting??

Do i need a dog vest for waterfowl hunting??

The dog vests help your dog out qutie a bit. I use a neoprene one with the flotation inserts. It makes it so the dog doesnt have to work so hard and to keep them warmer after they get out of the water. Plus I have seen dogs go for a retrieve and get stuck in the guts with a stick that ended up being a mortal wound. They offer protection, warmth, and a little boost to how hard they have to swim. Just make sure it is fitted correctly to your dog so they are running their armpits raw.

Comment

I would think a human one would fit you better, but who knows, try it on.

Comment

haha very funny

Comment

one up for you

Comment

THATS REAL GOOD ADVICE BLACKWATER! THERES A SPOT WE HUNT THAT HAS ALOT OF DEBRIS THAT CAN SNAG A VEST OR COLLAR.THERES BEEN A FEW DOGS DROWN THERE.+TO YOU.

Comment

My dog would go on strike if I tried to doll her up in a vest. Many of her retrievals are on land in the rushes and she often needs to dive for evasive geese. After several thousand retrievals, I will give her free reign and not encumber her with a vest. If it fits you, you might give it a try but I usually hunt from a blind and haven't had trouble with rapidly rising water.

Comment

By the way... that is a great looking dog you have there. I'll bet she will make your day! Good luck and good hunting!

Comment

I give you +1 Blackwater!!!!That's a good advice....
                  The dog looks great.....

Comment

Personally I would say yes unless your dog despises the thing. If the dog is fine, go for it to help him/her out.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I would use a vest for my dog, it's just good insurance on a cold day.

Comment

It helps on long days and on days that are either really hot or really cold to help your dog stya afloat and to maintain body temperature. Another bonus is that it gives you something to grab onto to pull your dog back into the blind.

Comment

Can't help you here. The largest vest is 34", just right for Woofie. Bill has a 39" chest...

Comment

In short, the answer is "No". Labradors got along for a couple of hundred years before neoprene was invented.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad