Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody know if the habitat in North GA is suitable for starting a quail population? I'm tired of not being able to shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know if the habitat in North GA is suitable for starting a quail population? I'm tired of not being able to shoot

Does anybody know if the habitat in North GA is suitable for starting a quail population? I'm tired of not being able to shoot upland birds around my house. Also, does anybody have any tips for starting my population from scratch.

Unless you just gotta have wild birds the cheapest and easiest is to grow pen raised birds. If you do it right they will fly and are good sport to hunt.

Comment

Quail are very habitat specific and I would first start by consulting with a game biologist to see if your land is suitable for quail. If your land is suitable it will still require a strict management regime to allow you to sustain a huntable quail population, which would most likely require a decent cash $ input.

Comment

It will be a good challenge but one of the more important things to do is hunt the Foxes or their main predator.

Comment

I have a friend who bought an old farm with chicken houses and started a quail farm. Over the years he let them out on the property and some have taken residence around the fence rows. He also has a pond which helps. He kills a lot of predators including armadillos and hawks which seems to take up most of his time. Its a hearty endevour for sure but if you love quail none of this should slow you down.

Comment

Driggs,

NNMountaineer is correct about the habitata requirements. Research done under the Georgia Bobwhite Quail initiative has shown that quail need large contiguous blocks of suitable habitat for successful reproduction of wild birds. you can modify habitat on smaller tracts and may be able to maintain a few quail buy probably not a huntable population.
            Habitat fragmentation and a change in traditional farming patterns are the largest single factors for the decline of southern quail populations. Click on the link below for the BQI in Georgia. The site also has info and links concerning habitat requirements for quail.

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=108

Comment

Ellijay

Comment

Agreed with NNMountaineer answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad