How's your season starting out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your season starting out?

My first day honker hunting (season opened Sept 1st). Shortly after sunrise a dozen cruised over the decoys fifteen yards from the ground but I never got a shot. Sneaky buggers came from my blindside and never made a peep. By the time I could pick up my gun they were pretty much out of range. After the decoys were in the bag and as I was walking the dogs back to get the Jimmy, another dozen dropped into the slough adjacent to the field I was hunting. I put the Britt in the Jimmy and took my three year-old Lab Ellie back to jump them up. It was long shots but I easily doubled. Darned Ellie let me down. Got her out fairly close to them by slogging through a tangled mess of tulies, thick willows, and gooey, stinky muck. She found the one that swam out of sight dead at the edge of the water but wouldn't pick it up. Twice she went out to the other one laying face down in the middle but just poked it. "Too big, Dad!" Sigh! Had to drive all the way back in town and get old Opal from my daughter's apartment. Once we were back through the jungle where she could see it (her eyesight is failing), she brought it in. Due to the warm summer that slough is badly choked with weeds. Opal had quite a time with that big bird but she stuck with it patiently. Wish I'd had a camera. When honkers land on small water like that in the heat of the day, they're almost certainly just arrived from the northlands. LOTS of ducks in there which is quite unusual for this time of season. Perhaps they're just locals.

Very buggy and humid out there today. No wind at all. By the time I finally got home every inch of my clothes were drenched with sweat or muck. Glad I had water in the rig. Drank almost a full gallon. A country store with a pop cooler was just down the road a half mile. I was an awful stinking mess but I went in anyway. Aaaaah! Ginger ale sure hit the spot! A dairy farmer I know was also there fresh from spreading manure in the fields (he was picking up UPS package). Looking at (and smelling) him I didn't feel so bad!

Our dove season has started but I don't participate because of not being able to hit anything flying. Squirrel season starts Monday and I plan on devoting the day to scouting the hunting lease. Probably will tote a single shot 12 gauge for bushy tails and snakes. Or will just carry a .22 handgun. Will also have my favorite machete for blazing trails and cutting shooting lanes.

Comment

Happy to read this OHH, except for the bit about Ellie. My younger Brit won’t work the real thick stuff like her mom will, but I can’t hardly blame her.
      Squirrel season is open here, and our resident geese as well, but we don’t go after either. I don’t like bumping deer off the hill before the Oct 1’st bow opener, and the boy gets to hunt the youth firearms season on Columbus Day weekend this year so we’ll probably limit the amount of bow time that fist week as well.

I hear goose sausage is very good. I should probably do something about that

Comment

Dove season was slower than expecting on Sept 1, 3 and 4. A shame, since I mainly was trying to use it to get the dog on real birds before duck season. The weekend after that was the NC archery opener and while I had a few encounters that I thought would lead to me getting a shot, I never had a clear shot. A few days that we had to evacuate for Florence, and have been riding it out in the mountains of NC, where I’m still trying to get some hunting in.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
          Dove season was slower than expecting on Sept 1, 3 and 4. A shame, since I mainly was trying to use it to get the dog on real birds before duck season. The weekend after that was the NC archery opener and while I had a few encounters that I thought would lead to me getting a shot, I never had a clear shot. A few days that we had to evacuate for Florence, and have been riding it out in the mountains of NC, where I’m still trying to get some hunting in.
          All the best to you. Hope you catch a break ... both hunting and with Florence.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            Happy to read this OHH, except for the bit about Ellie. My younger Brit won’t work the real thick stuff like her mom will, but I can’t hardly blame her.
            Squirrel season is open here, and our resident geese as well, but we don’t go after either. I don’t like bumping deer off the hill before the Oct 1’st bow opener, and the boy gets to hunt the youth firearms season on Columbus Day weekend this year so we’ll probably limit the amount of bow time that fist week as well.

I hear goose sausage is very good. I should probably do something about that
            I'll pack up some more sausage for Paul to take home when he's released from hospital. Last I heard they're still waiting to get him back in surgery. No hunting today and Parker is off to camp for the weekend with his mom so I'll get back over to see your family for a visit.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Our dove season has started but I don't participate because of not being able to hit anything flying. Squirrel season starts Monday and I plan on devoting the day to scouting the hunting lease. Probably will tote a single shot 12 gauge for bushy tails and snakes. Or will just carry a .22 handgun. Will also have my favorite machete for blazing trails and cutting shooting lanes.
              I sure could have used that machete yesterday! Come up to the club and we'll sort out your flying target issues.

Comment

Thanks! I'll take you up on that if ever in your part of the country. My problem is in trying to shoot a shotgun like it's a rifle.

A machete makes short work on the soft undergrowth but can be cumbersome on your hip whe you don't need it. You could always just keep one in the vehicle, just in case.

Comment

I have two families of Turkeys behind my place. Between them about 15 chicks. I will see if I can get some pics. The toms are very protective of the group.

Comment

Honk, there was a goose on FB that imprinted on a guy. He would arrive on his scooter and take her for a fly right next to him. He had to trick her into getting behind a gate where she lived or she would follow him home. Also, if anyone came near him she would attack.

Comment

That's a very common problem especially with folks just starting out wingshooting. Sometimes I still find myself doing it occasionally. I suggest going to trap club with a flat or two of shells (and lots of money to pay for lots of rounds). Position your gun properly to shoulder and "aim" it at the top of house. THEN STOP LOOKING AT THE GUN. Look for the clay leaving the house when you pull it and never look back at the gun, only the clay. Move the gun to it and shoot. Many people make the mistake of looking at the gun not the target when trying to shoot clays. You don't aim a shotgun when a bird is in the air. Also try practising at home. Put a spot on the wall/ceiling, mount the gun, and swing to that spot without looking at the gun, only the line to the spot you'll "shoot" at, then fire (use dry fire cap!).

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                        OL..All my birds dogs would not pick up doves, good luck!

Comment

Dove season turned out to be a BUST all the Millet fields were down do to heavy rain storm.

Comment

Im so far behind on prep for deer season just got the food plot out last Friday. Got the blind up Saturday. Didn’t have time to get the feeder out. Only one rifle sighted in kind of. Muzzleloader a month away and it’s not sighted in. Work and family obligations have got me strapped for time. But I will make the best of it.

Comment

I had an uneventful archery opener. Morning was the coolest and driest we've had yet, but nothing moving. Middle of the day I was working outside doing some grading and clearing work up by the house for a new shed and stripping one of the wife's out of control flour gardens prior to planting some ground shrubs.
                              Went back on stand before 4 til dark.. two different adjacent properties, one of them up the creek which is the normal travel lane to pass by me, decided to start dropping trees in the late afternoon til a late dinner. Thus giving about 45 minutes for things to quiet down before dark. Thought I saw some movement upstream on the opposite bank heading downhill to the crossing just as light ended and I skeedaddled before they'd get to me. Camera caught deer moving by an hour or so after dark.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM
                              • Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Virginia legislature has dropped it’s AR-15 confiscation ruling. They have now stated those who presently own these weapons can continue to do so,...
                                Today, 05:33 PM
                              • Reply to Pet Peeves
                                by fitch270
                                My boy does the "I mean" thing quite often, usually when he's trying to think of how to explain something. I have no idea where he got it from,...
                                Today, 10:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X