Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any tips to help me train my black lab pup to learn how to flush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any tips to help me train my black lab pup to learn how to flush?

Does anyone have any tips to help me train my black lab pup to learn how to flush?

I'm a fellow husker fan, grew up in Crawford in the northwest corner of the state.

The way I did training for my son's lab is as follows:

We took the dog with us to the trap range frequently to get her used to the noise.

We took her out in the sticks and had her heel while we located coveys, then we threw a rock into the brush to act upon her natural retrieve instincts while saying "get em outta there".

This worked like a charm. I consider myself fortunate since this was so easy for us. All dogs have their own hangups, and talents.

During our first hunt, she even retrieved a bird we had not shot! She's a natural, but not without faults.

Comment

I train my dogs using the Gun Dog books and DVD's. You can usually fine the books and DVD's pretty cheap on Amazon and eBay. They are great and have helped me train my labs to be obedient and well trained enough that I can use them for both waterfowl and upland game.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Comment

You first take him to the range to get used to the sound until he is completely unphased, then we practiced stalk and point with ravens in the yard. Make you you find a way to restrain him and only let him go when you say the same words you'll say in the field.
        It worked for us hope it works for you!!

Nate

Comment

there is a magazine that is called Gun Dog it is great lots of great pointers from the pros and they have recommended movies in the back and it is great you can pick it up at a simple store like wal-mart and evan target

Comment

Get pigeons, buy them or trap them yourself. Pull out some flight feather or break a wing and let the pup chase the wounded bird around the yard. This lets them associate birds with something fun and enjoyable and will build a strong desire in them for hunting. Once the pup gets the idea that birds are fun you can begin hiding them. Still with a broken wing, dizzy them and tuck them in a bit of cover, (light easy cover so that the dog will find it easily)go back to your dog and let him find, flush and chase the bird (If you want your dog to sit to flush keep them on a lead and don't let them chase after the flush.) If your dog is gun shy it is also a good time to fire a blank after the flush, he will be so focused on the bird the shot wont matter. Soon he will associate shooting with birds and birds with fun and shooting wont be a problem anymore. Finally begin putting healthy birds in thicker cover and making him look for them. This isn't an afternoon thing it takes weeks and months and the more you do it the better your pup will learn. The key is to be positive, make it fun and understand that you are the alpha dog and this pup will do anything to please you. Remember that and training will be something both of you look forward to.

Comment

Gun Dog Magazine is full of great advice.

Comment

Train him by letting him work with setters and pointers and their trainer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                  Today, 04:18 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by Amflyer
                  Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                  Today, 04:04 PM
                • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by derek7
                  Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                  08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                • Reply to Trump
                  by 99explorer
                  Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                  He
                  Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X