Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filming Dove hunts:Hey there! AZ Dove opening (early Season) is Sept 1st and my lovely wife got me a GoPro 3+ Black. Anyone have some tips for best ways to film a dove hunt?1. Where to mount the cameraGun, Tree, Facing me, facing the sky?I know the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filming Dove hunts:Hey there! AZ Dove opening (early Season) is Sept 1st and my lovely wife got me a GoPro 3+ Black. Anyone have some tips for best ways to film a dove hunt?1. Where to mount the cameraGun, Tree, Facing me, facing the sky?I know the

Filming Dove hunts: Hey there! AZ Dove opening (early Season) is Sept 1st and my lovely wife got me a GoPro 3+ Black. Anyone have some tips for best ways to film a dove hunt? 1\. Where to mount the camera Gun, Tree, Facing me, facing the sky? I know there is no zoom, so I am curious how the footage will be at say 30-40 yards? Will I be able to see my hits from that far away? What about mounting it on my chest? Or will my gun obstruct the view? Thanks in advance! ~Cheers

Watch the outdoor channels and you will get a good idea what not to do with them. But on a positive note enjoy your hunt.

Comment

We tried it last year. Worked best with someone else filming. But it still turned out hilarious. Looked like we were shooting empty air, every time camera turned to our faces we stuttered like Mel Tillis or stood silently giving a goofy thumbs up. My personal highlight came when I sat my 1100 down to retrieve one,spilling my drink as I knocked over my chair and dumping my shotgun on the ground. Then proceeded to trip and fall because somehow I felt if I'm being filmed I have to run to the bird. We were in a watermelon field so we were filmed looking like the living dead as we gobbled melons. 80% of it was just us sitting still then suddenly swatting mosquitos. Classic cinema.

Comment

Maybe mount it on the brim of your hat, or like a headlamp?

Comment

Pez: I think you'll find doves are so small it's going to be hard to see them on replay. I look at some of the good Go-Pro videos of pheasant hunting on Youtube and sometimes it's difficult to pick up what's being shot at. Pheasants are a helluva lot bigger than doves and shooting is usually closer.

Santa brought me a Go-Pro last year and I need to get the bugs worked out before goose season opens 1 Sept. I'm thinking about mounting mine on left shoulder (I'm right-handed shooter). In the process of making a harness now. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. The thing I don't like about the head mounts is they pick up all kinds of unrelated movement. Same with gun mounts. I'm hoping a top shoulder mount will be more steady and objective.

Comment

Have your wife tag along and work the camera. Practice before the first hunt. Watch other videos to see how others do it.

Comment

It will be tough to get good footage with just 1 camera. If you want to see the doves I would put it in the decoys. If you want to see you I would put it on the gun facing you or on a tripod nearby. Mounting a gopro on a gun for doves will not yield much usable footage as Honker already said. I would be prepared to move the gopro a few times to get some different shots. No one shot will show everything.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                We tried it last year. Worked best with someone else filming. But it still turned out hilarious. Looked like we were shooting empty air, every time camera turned to our faces we stuttered like Mel Tillis or stood silently giving a goofy thumbs up. My personal highlight came when I sat my 1100 down to retrieve one,spilling my drink as I knocked over my chair and dumping my shotgun on the ground. Then proceeded to trip and fall because somehow I felt if I'm being filmed I have to run to the bird. We were in a watermelon field so we were filmed looking like the living dead as we gobbled melons. 80% of it was just us sitting still then suddenly swatting mosquitos. Classic cinema.
                Had me rolling on the ground! LMAO! I had an inkling this would be the case...I tried a gun mounted session with clays and I was shooting at nothing, or so it seemed.

I think I will try to mount it up in a tree pointed at me and see what happens.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions! That whats this forum is all about!

Cheers fellas!

Comment

FYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0g7sBZ94uM

I think a Go Pro a good camera, my sis loves her for her ski stuff. Filming the hunter, a POV cam might be best. For the critters........something else.

Not sure if the Tactacam is successful at doing both.

I'm going to purchase a reg camcorder for hunting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                      FYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0g7sBZ94uM

I think a Go Pro a good camera, my sis loves her for her ski stuff. Filming the hunter, a POV cam might be best. For the critters........something else.

Not sure if the Tactacam is successful at doing both.

I'm going to purchase a reg camcorder for hunting stuff.
                      Ideally, I'd have a camcorder, a Tactacam and a Go Pro.
                      Yes, 3 diff camera types, for various perspectives.

Comment

I film almost everything with my GoPros. I dove hunted with it last year. Do not mount it on your gun. I mounted mine onto the barrel with the sportmans mount and it looked terrible. It was shaky from me moving and the recoil. I would say mount it on a tripod with the camera facing you, that's what I plan to do this year, Not sure how to get the birds falling out of the sky yet. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by UnclePezz View Post
                          Thanks for all your comments and suggestions! That whats this forum is all about!

Cheers fellas!
                          You can mount it on your head for a few shots, does not do bad for close shots. Also a mount on your dog with provide good shots of retrieves. Would also use a handheld with better lens used a second person.

Comment

I think you will get your best video with a camera assistant to do the filming. A gun mount will be excellent until you pull the trigger. A shooter will also be scanning the flock for multiple shots, etc. You can put one on your head but you won't believe how much you move your head scanning for shots. As Honker said, these little guys don't show up well at a distance so you will probably have to get them coming into decoys.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              Dewman; This video is posted on the F & S site ? Be great to see it

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad