Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the daily limits for ducks in your state? The picture of the missing musician and his huge strap of ducks got me thinking about this. Are the limits much higher in the south? If so, why? If waterfowl are managed federally, why would the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the daily limits for ducks in your state? The picture of the missing musician and his huge strap of ducks got me thinking about this. Are the limits much higher in the south? If so, why? If waterfowl are managed federally, why would the

What are the daily limits for ducks in your state? The picture of the missing musician and his huge strap of ducks got me thinking about this. Are the limits much higher in the south? If so, why? If waterfowl are managed federally, why would the winter range get to shoot more than the summer range?

For New York: "The daily limit of 6 ducks includes all mergansers and sea ducks (scoters, eiders and long-tailed ducks) and may include no harlequin ducks and no more than 4 mallards (2 of which may be hens), 3 wood ducks, 1 black duck, 2 pintail, 2 scaup, 2 redheads, 2 canvasback, 4 scoters, 4 eiders, 4 long-tailed ducks or 2 hooded mergansers. For all other duck species found in New York, the daily limit is 6."

Comment

Here is the Ohio guide, including Lake Erie shore.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/pdfs/publications/laws%20&%20regs/pub295.pdf

Comment

When I see a guy posing with a lot of ducks, I figure he's there with the gang's take of the day.

And maybe his hunting buddies are really ugly ;-)

Comment

As I recall, the feds typically set maximum limits for flyways and states can manage within the maximum.

Here we are allowed five honkers/cacklers and twenty snows/blues per day. Unlimited possession limits for both honkers and snows. I'm not sure about limits for speckles but it's unlikely I'd shoot any here. CD2 is bang on. Take a look at this photo of me wearing old Pearl's last bunch of geese retrieved when she was battling both autoimmune disease and progressive kidney failure.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/user-photos/hunting/birds/geese/pearls-geese-october-2014.

Hard to say who shot what as they all fell out of the same black cloud of geese but there's exactly ten honkers/cacklers and one snow in the bunch. Two of us were hunting. Just damned lucky more than ten black geese didn't drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
            As I recall, the feds typically set maximum limits for flyways and states can manage within the maximum.

Here we are allowed five honkers/cacklers and twenty snows/blues per day. Unlimited possession limits for both honkers and snows. I'm not sure about limits for speckles but it's unlikely I'd shoot any here. CD2 is bang on. Take a look at this photo of me wearing old Pearl's last bunch of geese retrieved when she was battling both autoimmune disease and progressive kidney failure.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/user-photos/hunting/birds/geese/pearls-geese-october-2014.

Hard to say who shot what as they all fell out of the same black cloud of geese but there's exactly ten honkers/cacklers and one snow in the bunch. Two of us were hunting. Just damned lucky more than ten black geese didn't drop.
            I think the daily limit for ducks here is seven with no more than two black ducks. I don't bother much with ducks so don't pay much attention to the regs for them. I wouldn't shoot more than five anyway and never more than one black duck per day.

Comment

6 in PA. Only 4 mallards though.

Comment

The singer's dog was rescued alive. This photo of him sure reminded me of old Pearl. It's the eyes and white whiskers.

http://www.eonline.com/news/727088/missing-country-singer-craig-strickland-s-dog-found-alive-as-backroad-anthem-band-member-pleads-for-his-safe-return

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Yeah, I looked at Arkansas and Louisiana and it was 6 in both states. I guess some southerners just have a thing for posing with their buddies' ducks...

Comment

7 ducks mixed bag of species in WA.

Comment

Where I live in Alaska for ducks is 10 per day, 30 possession

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                        For New York: "The daily limit of 6 ducks includes all mergansers and sea ducks (scoters, eiders and long-tailed ducks) and may include no harlequin ducks and no more than 4 mallards (2 of which may be hens), 3 wood ducks, 1 black duck, 2 pintail, 2 scaup, 2 redheads, 2 canvasback, 4 scoters, 4 eiders, 4 long-tailed ducks or 2 hooded mergansers. For all other duck species found in New York, the daily limit is 6."
                        Lot of guys report on Duck Unlimited Migration Reports like this: " Killed a 3 man limit on Tuesday." Don't know if that is just lazy, because they never mention the number of guys hunting. Could be interpreted several ways. One guy hunting - over the limit!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad