Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For beginner turkey hunting, should I use a slate or box call, and any particular brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For beginner turkey hunting, should I use a slate or box call, and any particular brand?

For beginner turkey hunting, should I use a slate or box call, and any particular brand?

box call i hate turkey huntin but slate is hard to learn at firs box is better i think

Comment

Turkey hunting is great! I personally prefer a glass/slate call, with a little practice you'll be cutting,purring, and yelping in no time. I use a Primos Power Crystal most of the time.

Comment

The box call is easier to master, and is in one peice so that nothing can be lost like with the slate call,which has two pieces. I use primos calls which seem to work just fine. I dont think turkeys are as weary as a lot of people think they are. I dont think they care which brand is doing the calling

Comment

Opinions are like rectums. Everybody has one. Here's mine. Get yourself a Lynch's foolproof box call. I have many calls but always seem to go back to that one. It has called many turkeys in to my gun. It only takes a few minutes to learn how to use it. There is a positive stop on the top that makes it very easy to use. A great call for beginner and oldtimer alike. That.s why they call it "foolproof".

Comment

I think the box call is easier to pick up on. Can't really go wrong when you use it. Good luck

Comment

LISTEN TO DEL. He IS a turkey hunting "GOD". I to would have said, go with a box.

Comment

box call

Comment

I'm with Del, my first call was a Lynch's box call. Easy to get to know well and can make a variety of pitches and call sequences. Once you get in the turkey woods you'll wonder why you didn't go before.

Comment

When you're ready for a slate, do just that, buy slate, not glass or aluminum or whatever, learn on slate, then branch out. Perfection makes the best slates, in my humble opinion. I agree with Del to a point on Lynch boxes, only I prefer the World Champion. You might also consider a push-pull box, they're extremely simple to learn and use. Look at the Quaker Boy line. Welcome aboard. Long beards and sharp spurs to ya!

Comment

Big "O" you crack me up.
                      I didn't have much time yesterday. I highly recommend the Foolproof box. It makes excellent yelps, clucks, cuts and purrs. After you get proficient with it order one of Beekeepers handmade beauties. The World Champion is another good call but for a newbie I stand by my first choice. BTW I have a brand new Quaker Boy "Firebox" model Cherry and Eucalytus wood box call that I won in a photo contest. If anyone wants it I'd take 30 bucks plus postage. P.S. It sounds good but I just have too many calls and would never use it especially with Beekeeper making me one of his.

Comment

I found the slate to be quite easy just ask around for a good slate that isn't to high pitched or low then just a little practice and I had it down like nothing.

Comment

A box call for sure. I was a beginner this year and i asked a guy from Gander Mountain what would be better a box, slate, or mouth call. He said a box call so i bought the new Quaker Boy Tornado and i picked up on it in about a week or so.

Comment

just try mouth calls and for the box, primos or redhead . Slate calls try knight & hale .

Comment

Got reminded of this again this season. Over an open field box and mouth calls were much louder than the frictions. Frictions were fine in the woods, though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad