Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have asperations of owning a nice piece of land one day and want it to have as many hunting opportunities as possible. I was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have asperations of owning a nice piece of land one day and want it to have as many hunting opportunities as possible. I was

I have asperations of owning a nice piece of land one day and want it to have as many hunting opportunities as possible. I was wondering if anyone knew I good way to flood a field or something for duck hunting if this piece of land I like doesn't have good duck hunting water? How can I turn a property into good duck hunting habitat?

seems to me you could push up some berms, or levees, flood it, eventually you'll get ducks, right?

Comment

Make it some what wet and fertile.

Comment

rent a cat 330d excavator and start digging .

Comment

Yes you'll have to build a levee to keep water in but as we do here in E.central Mo a well needs to be dug and a lake pumped full of water. It's not such a big deal unless you live where there isn't much water. We have to much at times.

Comment

Your in luck. Cheap land is usually located in a flood plain. We plant corn in low lying land protected by berms then bust the berm and flood the corn when the season comes in.

I've purchased land to hunt. I think it might be cheaper to lease it.

Comment

I have a piece of wetland on my property and I wanted to dam it up and attract a lot of different types of wildlife. What a joke!! The DEP had their hands all over this attempt before I could get off the ground. My farmer neighbor just laughed when I started to vent my frustration with the interference from the government and calmly said that I'd just have to take a natural approach and then he banged his flat palm on his workbench and walked away laughing. It took me a few days but I finally figured out what the slap on the bench meant; BEAVER! We had the game department deliver a few nuisance animals and every thing fell into place pretty quickly. I have about 7 acres of water here now and the waterfowl love the place. Because the beaver breed so rapidly, we allow limited trapping every year and that also protects the poplar trees that these creatures feed on. Nature worked great for me!

Comment

Get in touch with DU or some other organizations, they will help you with what you need and may even pay to have it done.

Comment

I have seen this done in a Wildlife area in Washington. They laid the place out like a golf course with mebbe 21 ponds with flat bottoms shaped witha dozer. They have sunken concrete blinds as well as wooden bunkers. They have floodgates to each pond and a main canal to the River. Works great. It is very convenient. Everything is overgrown with grass in Summer, so you might not even get dirty. I greatly enjoy going there. And there is a Safeway on the way home. You can load up om snacks and treats for yourself and your dawgz. There is a drawing for blinds, and there are usually three times as many hunters as blinds. I've been lucky. One year I got drawn for four hunts.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                    by crm3006
                    From #1 Bubba- "What you two clowns know about immigration law and citizenship requirements wouldn't fill a sewing thimble."

Hey,...
                    Today, 09:51 PM
                  • 16 Years
                    by jhjimbo
                    So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                    08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                  • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                    by crm3006
                    What? Exposed your ignorance about Auto 5s, did I, little man? Gonna pout, and hold your breath 'til you turn blue?
                    Today, 09:45 PM
                  • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                    by derek7
                    Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                    08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                  • Reply to 16 Years
                    by 99explorer
                    So tell us, blubber, is Kamala Harris a U.S. citizen or not?
                    Yes or no.
                    No speeches and no insults.
                    Today, 09:36 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X