Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody try a float hunt for turkeys this spring? I tried it for the 3rd year in a row, its fun and gorgeous, but not very effe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody try a float hunt for turkeys this spring? I tried it for the 3rd year in a row, its fun and gorgeous, but not very effe

Anybody try a float hunt for turkeys this spring? I tried it for the 3rd year in a row, its fun and gorgeous, but not very effective. We had much more luck walking a calling. Just wondering if anyone out there has tried it effectively.

Not for turkey. I've been succesful on deer though.

Comment

Yeah, I love it for deer, thats why I tried for turkey, but it seems that they tend to work their way away from the river, at least where I'm floating.

Comment

Never found it necessary. I mostly hunt small farms by setting up in places where birds have been seen.

Comment

If you have good land access it works quite well. It is especially effective for hunting turkeys on WMA or forest Service land around big lakes.

Comment

I was fishing earlier this spring and saw several gobblers strutting next to the lake. We were able to sneak within gun range. Turkey hunting float trip sounds plausible.

Comment

I was working some huge tracts of state forest in MI. Both sides of the river for several river miles.

Comment

Funny, we were just talking about this. One of these day we will actually float for turkey, deer, and ducks. I think time of day would make a big difference - would like to hear more from people that have been successful.

Comment

It was incredibly fun- we put in before light for the best chance of catching one on the roost gobbling, but no luck this year. We actually floated it 3 times last year in one weekend with one opportunity for a set up, but he was henned up. That float for deer is incredible, no pressure from other hunters, huge tracts of land - can get a little dangerous floating in the dark when its that cold out though.

Comment

I threw a photo up on my profile of the turkey hunt early morning.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad