Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonight is my last night for turkey. Yesterday, i was on a ridge about 50-60 yards from a tom who started gobbling. It was a lit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight is my last night for turkey. Yesterday, i was on a ridge about 50-60 yards from a tom who started gobbling. It was a lit

Tonight is my last night for turkey. Yesterday, i was on a ridge about 50-60 yards from a tom who started gobbling. It was a little after 7pm. I tried some soft calling. Hejust gobbled away but never came any closer. After about 20 minutes I was able to crawl about 40 yards down the ridge to his level. He was 30 or so yards straight in front of me behind some dead fall. I never saw him but knew exactly where he was. I waited him out. He just stayed put. Going to try him again tonight. It's pretty brushy with small openings and if I get into this same situation, what should I do to get him on the move. They're not so eager to run to the call this late in the season.

He probably was getting ready to fly up for the night and was not going to come to much of anything.

Comment

If you are hunting public land, the birds are probably used to calling. What you have to do is cluck, but not too loud, softly. You may not think that the bird could hear you, but he can.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad