Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just purchased my first Diaphram call for turkey and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips for using it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just purchased my first Diaphram call for turkey and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips for using it?

I just purchased my first Diaphram call for turkey and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips for using it?

Place the call in the roof of your mouth. If it is a multi reed call place the short reed(s) down. Open part of the "horseshoe" towards your lips. With your tongue touching the back of your teeth, place a light pressure on the call to form a "seal". By huffing air across the call, try to make the sounds "KEE" and "Yawk" seperately. You will find that you will have to make slight adjustments of the sound by dropping then closing your jaw, almost a chewing motion. Once you can make the Kee and Yawk sounds seperately then try to slowly run them together then faster and faster to form the two toned basic "yelp" which is "Keeyawk". The tone goes from high for the kee portion to a lower tone for the yawk portion.

The cluck can be made by popping you jaw open and making a quick rush of air over the reeds. This one takes some practice and can be done several other ways. With a diaphragm call practice makes perfect, eventually!

Comment

People can tell you to make all the different noise they want. I don't know how I got it to sound like a turkey I just spent hours on end trying and eventually got it. At the time though I was driving a coulple hours a day by myself and could do that. My suggestion is still practice until you're satisfied with your sound.

Comment

There's a lot to that question. I would suggest an instuctional tape or video.

Comment

Good point, buckhunter. Although, there are other methods, such as using a box call, which does work better in most cases than others. A Lynch box call allows the person calling to not make some noise, but the box also keeps you not as stealthy.

Diaphrams are best used cold, and they are made to be used as instruments, not toys. Turkey hunting wouldn't be the same without them, so treat them with care. The biggest key is to treat the roof of yor mouth as if the call has been stuck inside the cavernous area of your palette, positioned as horseshoe would be with the diaphram facing out. Then, say the word "Shim" or "Shuck" with the top of your tongue gently applying pressure to the call. The key is to apply the right amount of pressure as your saying the word as the air flows over the diaphram.

If done correctly, next year's Thanksgiving is on the proverbial house. It takes praactice, but if you've heard one good gobbler, you're most like able to emulate, or copy their sound.

Comment

Make sure that the diaphram is comfortable in your mouth, a lot of the time you may have to do some minor trimming with scissors to get the diaphram to fit right. Pack the diaprham with you where ever you go and practice, practice, practice. Usually on the back of the package there are some directions with the general sounds you want to make as you blow out. Try these and eventually with enough practice you'll find what works best for you. There really isn't a way to teach someone how to use one, it just takes practice.

Comment

Practice, practice, practice!!!

Good points in all posts above. Buy a couple of turkey videos to watch, learn how they act, imitate the calls they make, and practice. Matter of fact, mouth calls are pretty inexpensive so try a couple different ones and see which ones you like.

Comment

Get a CD that has turkeys on it and when you are driving practice with the call. I used this method in high school when I started using a diaphram call.

Comment

I recommend buying the Primos CD that comes with 3 different diaphragm calls. I actually bought this last week and have been very pleased with the instructions that came on the CD. They go slow and keep the instructions basic and easy to understand. I enjoyed hearing how you can use your diaphragm call to call in coyotes as well.

I would just keep an instructional CD in your vehicle with your calls & you can practice on your way to work, school, etc. Practice is key and just try to imitate the different sounds you hear.

Comment

Hey thanks for all the great answers. I'll be sure to try all your techniques and see which ones work for me. Thanks again!

Comment

Get Knight and Hales DVD. You'll be callin Shawtys in by the dozens.

Comment

Invest in a CD or a DVD on how to use a diaphram call.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad