Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I hunt public land for ducks and the ice has completely covered the landscape. Does anyone have any tips for hunting ducks on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I hunt public land for ducks and the ice has completely covered the landscape. Does anyone have any tips for hunting ducks on

So I hunt public land for ducks and the ice has completely covered the landscape. Does anyone have any tips for hunting ducks on ice? I must add that the ice is too thick to be easily broken. Thanks!

JMO~ Sneak up on them! then stand up to flair them up....and then shoot....walk out on the ice to gather up your Ducks.

Comment

Stay off the ice and hit corn/grain fields where the yhave to go to feed.

Comment

Nevva seen ducks land on ice.

Comment

If there is no open water there will be no ducks. Hunt corn field close to a river that ducks are roosing on or hunt on the river itself. That being said I acknowledge the fact that you hunt public lands so just hunting any old corn field may not be an option and if you don't have a boat neither is hunting any river flowing fast enouph to stay open in this weather. In that case I would stay home, if everything is froze up the ducks will move on, thats just how it is. More years than not duck season might as well be over before the end of the season because there are just no ducks. Idk where your from but I can't believe there are even any ducks for you to want to hunt.

Comment

I have seen ducks and geese land on frozen water. It is more like a controlled crash.
            Sometimes they stay on the ice and sometimes climb up the bank onto my lawn.

Comment

When we have no better options we try to break the ice in large chunks and slide it under the other ice. this creates open water with no or few chunks. Also if you have some way to keep it open it helps. Such as a mallard machine.

Comment

Along to what GERG said, if no choice then break open a hole, but it is a pain to keep it open, my buddy and I tried to do just that last weekend and cost us a lot of ducks because we couldn't keep it open

Comment

break a hole in the ice first off. take a trolling motor if you have one put it in the ice and attach it to a 6 volt battery hide it with a flying decoys

Comment

Its time to quit hunting the pond when it freezes over. That is why ducks fly south. As others have said they still like food sources and will hit them. If you can make or find an open water hole in the ice, they will find it too. I've rarely tried to defeat Mother Nature but had a friend who ran an elaborate air pump below the ice. It turned the water over and kept a circle of water open. Ducks hit it but who wants to sit on a water puddle waiting for a duck when you can sit in a corn field and have thousands of them circling you all day?

Comment

I stopped hunting on ice 3 years back. The risk just isn't worth a few ducks. Make sure you always have a partner that can drag you out of the water when you break thru. Always thought I was very careful and it wouldn't happen to me but it did and luck was with me.

Comment

Hunt with a friend and dress warm. I wouldn't do it if i were you but if you want to do it. Stay safe and best of luck.

Comment

Put full bodes or sleeper decoys on ice and hunt like normal.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad