Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK i have always herd that coot is bad its what i have been told my whole life. I have just taken up duck hunting and we had an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK i have always herd that coot is bad its what i have been told my whole life. I have just taken up duck hunting and we had an

OK i have always herd that coot is bad its what i have been told my whole life. I have just taken up duck hunting and we had an unsuccessful morning followed by a double limit of coots. I don't believe in wasting meat, so after my "expert" buddy tried to convince me not to i breasted them out and fired it up to try it without all the bells and whistles to try and figure out what to do with it, it wasn't good but at the same time nothing wrong with it. i don't like to over power meat with sauces and seasonings does any one have any ideas on what to do with it?

Absolutely. Get your favorite stew recipe and use coot instead of beef.Be sure to use 3 or 4 bay leaves and a thinly-sliced serrano pepper or two.

Comment

When I was a kid I had an uncle who would sometimes shoot some coots and my grandma would cook them up. They weren’t bad. I seem to recall she made them by coating the meat with some flour, salt, pepper, etc., browning them in a pan with some butter or oil, then adding some onions, maybe some mushrooms, and some water. Cover and simmer for a couple hours. If I were doing it today, I’d probably add a lot more seasoning – garlic, herbs, etc.

Comment

I cooked a coot for my cat, and my cat ran away from home.

Comment

I cooked a coot for my cat, and my cat ran away from home.

Comment

I recommend that you don't shoot things just to have something to shoot ... and then hope to find some way to make them palatable later. Especially not that many somethings. Maybe one or two coots would have been worth an experiment. Not a whole boatload!

So, what did your "expert" buddy do with his limit of coots? Send them to the dump? There is a four letter word to describe hunters like this.

Comment

He was going to leave them like the 400 ring necks that we didn't get a shot at that morning but after having had my grandmothers coot growing up I knew better I just have no receipt for them and no one to ask any more (she had it written down and lost it she perfectly fine didn't want it to sound like she's dead) but I'm thinking jalapeño coot poppers wrapped in bacon for lunch tomorrow

Comment

I tasted coot once just to make sure I knew for myself how it tasted. It was absolutely, without a doubt the most God awful tasting meat I have ever eaten. I actually couldn't hold it down and puked it up. It tasted a bit like rotten coyote. I now let them swim. Coots aren't really game ducks and I would never consider them part of a limit of anything. Just because they are stupid and swim right in front of your blind doesn't mean that you have to kill them.

Comment

Ive made gumbo with coot many times and it was superb! I guess with gumbo done right you could put a flip flop in it and it would be good! lol Just be sure to use what you kill. Killing for killings sake takes you to an unusable term here.

Comment

Not much of a coot fan myself, but a limit of plump bluebills will get my tastebuds popping,,,,

Comment

Coot = Poule D'eau

www.pauladeen.com/article_view/chef_john_besh/

Comment

Many years ago I shot one that came sailing in from out of the sun behind my blind - at the time I thought it was a teal as I turned and shot into the sun. Having it in hand, I remembered a recipe that an old Mississippi River Rat had given me with the promise that it would make a coot absolutely delectable. I followed his recipe to the letter and after it was about half roasted my apartment stunk so bad that I took the coot out of the oven and dumped it outside in the garbage can. My landlord who lived next door even complained about the stench and he smoked several packs of cigarettes per day!!!! I have never even considered shooting or cooking a coot since then!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad