Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here hunted without decoys for ducks before? If so, have you done it successfully? How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone here hunted without decoys for ducks before? If so, have you done it successfully? How?

Has anyone here hunted without decoys for ducks before? If so, have you done it successfully? How?

Yes you can hunt without decoys, but you have to hunt a pond that is naturally frequented by wild ducks. If you have a pond that you regularly see birds, then go hunt it. It will be similar to deer hunting. When I have tried it I have had no luck calling them in, but they still land on the water.

Comment

Story time....Once hunting pheasants in the snow, and heavy wind my partner, and I, my wife, saw a low flying small bunch of Canadian Honkers blowing from side to side, low, and coming at us. We jumped in the ditch we were hunting, and had to move back, and forth to keep in line with them flying into the wind. I picked one out, and unloaded my O/U. The goose went on a lower glide pattern, and appeared to have landed on a farmers house roof some 1/4 mile away, or so. Got in the car, pulled into the farmer's driveway, knocked on the door, and told him what we thought had happened. He led us around his house looking up on his roof, and there was the goose at his back door steps having slid off his roof..stone dead. And it wasn't his farm land that we were hunting. No dekes needed for that one either.

Comment

GREAT QUESTION, I DON'T USUALLY HUNT WITHOUT DECOYS, BUT WHEN I DO I SCOUT OUT MY PROPERTY OR WHEREVER IM GOING TO HUNT AND FIND WHERE THE DUCKS ARE NATURALLY GOING. I THEN WILL FIND A GOOD PLACE TO BLEND IN TO MY MAX4 OR MOSSY OAK GRASS BLADES, OR MAKE A QUICK FIELD BLIND WITH THE BRUSH AND REEDS BY THE SPOT I HAVE FOUND TO HUNT. SIT QUIET AND PATIENT, AND DO NOT MOVE!! YOU SHOULD HAVE SOME SUCESS AND ALSO DONT TRY TO CALL THE DUCKS IN THERE WONT BE ANYTHING TO CALL FROM. I LIVE IN UTAH AND FIND SUCESS IN DOING THIS. BEST OF LUCK!!

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas. Great stories too, you never know what might happen out there! Just been wondering how others did without decoys like me, good to see I'm not alone!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad