Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I look for in a good goose and duck hunting spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I look for in a good goose and duck hunting spot?

What should I look for in a good goose and duck hunting spot?

there are birds there and you have a place to hide.

Comment

upland said it all.

Comment

You have two situations to consider:

One is local birds. They tend to stay in the U.S. locales where they hatched for a long time; in many cases throughout the winter. They are pretty easy to pattern. Watch them leave local ponds and see where they go for food. Set up at those locations in the field with a few decoys. If you attack them at their home base, they will head south and be gone.

The other is migrating ducks and geese. These follow migration paths that are used year after year. Watch the migration and see where they settle and where they commonly hit the rivers, lakes and fields to feed in the early morning. Any little pond near the migration path will be good until it freezes. Backwater coves along rivers are good too. Scout along the migration path for locations to set up a blind or ambush ducks and geese. Winds are predominantly from the north on their migration paths so set up on the north side of water so they can approach your decoys from the south to land into the wind. As the season progresses most water freezes so any open water is a good place to hunt because the migrators need to stop for a drink quite often on their migration.

Watch fields for feeding areas too. The migrating birds often hit a specific patch of good food all season long... different birds every day. Grain fields or winter wheat are of particular interest. You can lay under a cover in the field or crouch in a fence row.

There are about as many possibilities as there are places but I hope this helps a little in getting you started.

Comment

ducks

Comment

I'm not a waterfowler, but I think I'd look for places with lots of ducks and geese----and where you wouldn't get arrested for shooting them. (No city parks or wildlife refuges, but maybe as close as you can get.)

Comment

Good answer Country Road,,,

Comment

Scouting is the best way to find some geese.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad