Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone hunted out of a Kayak before? Duck hunting or otherwise? My friends think its a stupid idea but I think it would be c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone hunted out of a Kayak before? Duck hunting or otherwise? My friends think its a stupid idea but I think it would be c

Has anyone hunted out of a Kayak before? Duck hunting or otherwise? My friends think its a stupid idea but I think it would be cool. As long as you had a crappy 20gauge and had it teathered to your boat you would be fine. If you wanted to be really safe you could manage your shooting radius to never exceed 30degrees from the bow. What do you guys think? ha

I thought it was cool once too. I snuck into a nice spot and a nice flock of mallards approached. My first shot was off to starboard. The recoil flipped me completely and I almost drowned. Had a nasty struggle returning to shore and then nearly died of hypothermia before reaching the truck. That was my one and only experience with kayaks in frozen water and I still cringe a little when you mention it.

Comment

Shoot straight off the bow. Keep low to the bottom - no extra seat cushion. Tie a life preserver to your gun and wear yours. Not a lot of room for decoy, etc.

Comment

I've got friends who do it.. they use the kayaks to get to bays that are not accessible any other way. But when they actually hunt they're pushed back into reeds and usually very shallow water. They have nice fishing kayaks that are very stable. I could stand up and relieve myself when I had one like theirs so they're not your standard kayak.

Practice in really shallow water if you want to get used to it so you don't have a DakotaMan story to share with the group later.

Comment

Ah dunno...

Oncet mah hunting buddy failed to tighten the clamps on the outboard when it wuzzabout 20 degrees.

Found out the water wuz cool, too!

Looked kinda funny at the launch ramp, coming back wet in our underwear...

Comment

I have hunted out of a canoe and have friends that hunt out of kayaks, really great for back coves and rivers if you get a wide and stable fishing model, have had good success sneaking up on resident geese in my canoe, and the big thing is you can launch from just about anywhere. That being said, I hunt ducks in bigger colder water and use a Jon boat.

Comment

It can be done I would recommend a fishing or ocean kayak they are must more stale than your average white water or river kayak which people expect to flip.

Comment

It can be done I would recommend a fishing or ocean kayak they are must more stale than your average white water or river kayak which people expect to flip.

Comment

put out a couple of outriggers to keep from tipping. I used to hunt layout boats on lake Erie. Talk about cold! I'm too old for that sh*t now but have some great stories!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad