Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you make jerky without a dehydrator? Unforetunately I don't have one yet, and definitely in interested in making some goose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you make jerky without a dehydrator? Unforetunately I don't have one yet, and definitely in interested in making some goose

Can you make jerky without a dehydrator? Unforetunately I don't have one yet, and definitely in interested in making some goose, duck, deer, and turkey jerky. Anybody have success making it in a regular oven? Thanks

I have made it in the oven many times and I turns out great. Make sure you put a pan under to catch any drippings or your wife will make sure you never have the chance to make jerky again. Good luck.

Comment

Like IND-NRA sez!
      Use the "warm" setting on the oven. Prop the oven door slightly open to allow moisture to escape.
      I quit making jerky. It's good, but I'd rather have the steak or stew.

Comment

I've made many batches of jerky in the oven. Like said above use the warm setting on the oven or if it doesn't have one set to 200*, on either setting you'll need to turn your furnace down because you need to prop the door open on the oven and it will make your kitchen nice and toasty. You can do it right on the bare oven racks if you want but it can get messy and you'll need a pan at the bottom to catch drippings from your marinade and the meat.
        Obviously how long it takes depends on the size of you cuts but when I did mine in the oven it took about 2 1/2 hrs.

Comment

Look up Alton Brown and his episode of how to make real jerky. He is a cook on Food Network.

Comment

I have had success making it in the oven. Luckily my oven has a 175 degree setting. still you need to prop the door.

Comment

Awesome I'll try it out. I like Alton browns show... Very quirky dude but great recipes.

Comment

I was going to mention Alton Brown myself. I've done it like he says, with the window fans and furnace filters, and it comes out great. You just have to get over the weirdness factor, which we fans of AB did long ago.

Comment

I was going to mention Alton Brown myself. I've done it like he says, with the window fans and furnace filters, and it comes out great. You just have to get over the weirdness factor, which we fans of AB did long ago.

Comment

I have a friend who can make it on his grill. He just keeps the temp low, but not 100% sure on all of his steps he takes. Some of the best jerky i've had though.

Comment

I have make jerky on top of a Ashley wood stove. To do so, i put the jerky strips on cookie sheets with aluminum foil underneath them to catch any drips. As long as the stove didn't get to hot it worked really good. The main problem was having some jerky left the next day, because with 8 kids going by and picking off pieces as they got done, the jerky disappeared quickly.
                      The 8 kids being me and my siblings(I'm the 3rd of 9 kids).

Comment

Jerky is easy to make because you just have to dry out the meat slowly. It can be made on a wire rack in the bottom of a tin foil lined cardboard box with a 7 1/2 watt lite bulb for heat. It can be made on a wire rack in a tin foil type pie plate on top of a lamp shade with a 15 watt bulb in the lamp. I personally make my jerky in my electric smoker.

Comment

I make mine on the smoker – low heat, slow, apple wood. I like the smoky flavor in jerky, and liquid smoke just isn’t as good as natural. I looked up that Alton Brown method though, and that looks just wacky enough that I might have to try it one of these days.

Comment

Good stuff guys. I will experiment on a few and hopefully give some feedback in the future.

Comment

Growing up I remember my dad making it in the oven. Now, when I make it I put it in the smoker. 175 degrees for about 4 hours depending on how much and how thick the cuts are.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad