Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so this year i just got into serious waterfowl hunting. pretty much all set with standard equipment, have locations to hunt. i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so this year i just got into serious waterfowl hunting. pretty much all set with standard equipment, have locations to hunt. i

so this year i just got into serious waterfowl hunting. pretty much all set with standard equipment, have locations to hunt. im looking to spend between 50-100 bucks on a quality duck call. ive got a few in the 25-35 dollar range but am looking to step it up a level. any recommendations?

Scratch,
    Try e-mail Duck Dynasty.

Comment

I have always used my dad's old D-2 by P.S. Olt. Great sound and very versatile. I see Olt is now back in business. Also a great color (all black!). Buy yourself a piece of history and a proven duck call. Here's their website: www.psolt.com/products/d2-duck-call.html

Comment

Price doesn't necessarily equate to quality.
        Tone means everything.

Comment

True enough, Bubba. But many of us don't live near a large sports outlet where we can try out a lot of different kinds of calls. And I agree, the sales literature and/or price don't necessarily mean a call is any good. So this guy is asking some of us who have experience for some advice. I haven't hunted ducks much in the last several decades, mostly geese. What call do you use? Ever used anything that wasn't good? I have a short reed goose call that was given to me but have never been impressed with it. The short reed goose calls are noisier but I think most of them sound like crap, especially from a distance. I think they're better when used together with other callers to make chatter (which as often as not is used too much anyway). Personally, I think the acrylic calls are overrated. Certainly for the price.

Comment

The high end calls today are made of ACRYLIC. They come in all kinds of fancy colors, and designs. They can produce crisper volume, quality tones, and are not subject the warping like wood calls are. There are many, many makers of these high end calls. The poly carbonates are less expensive. I own some wood classics. (ie) a Yentsen made in Texas by George Yentsen, and his partner "Cowboy" James Fernandez, they were the first of the double reed calls, and a Stuttgart Ark. made call by Harry Dye that has a single brass reed. I also have a Dudley Faulk call. All of these are wood calls. If you are willing to spend some money...buy an acrylic made call.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad