Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A rare combination in the field today. A triple - two mallards and a honker. What's the strangest combination you've taken whi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rare combination in the field today. A triple - two mallards and a honker. What's the strangest combination you've taken whi

A rare combination in the field today. A triple - two mallards and a honker. What's the strangest combination you've taken while hunting?

I set up in the wrong field this morning. Geese all landed across the highway. Finally as I was pulling up my decoys a pair came in. I slammed one of them twice very hard and they turned back to the slough in the woods rather than go to the other birds. As I was walking back to the Jimmy with the deeks I spotted a lone honker in a tulie pothole. Why he didn't go to the other birds is a mystery. Managed to put the sneak on and one-shot it as it jumped off the water. A bit tricky because the busy highway was only seventy yards away behind it. Waited till coast was clear and easily took him. It was a HUGE bird and beautifully feathered. Drove across the highway and while watching the huge flock in the middle of the stubble field, a pair came in and landed in the plowed part right in front of me. Weird! The range was pushing it but I broke the wing on one with second shot. Then back to the slough. Just like the other day, it was full of ducks so I switched to #4 3" shells but left a BB goose load up the tube. Easily took two mallards with two shots. No flock shooting today as I didn't want to deal with a lot of birds (today is our Thanksgiving). Then out of sight to my left a honker takes off with the bigger flock of ducks. It was right up against the bank. Darned if it didn't circle and come back over about 45 yards up. I let him have it with the third shot, the BB load. It was flying at treetop level and immediately set its wings but was quickly out of sight. Opal brought in a hen mallard but a drake was fast making an escape swimming up the slough. I took off running (actually stumbling through that jungle!) when suddenly the second honker takes off right where the other one had just left. It was hurting badly but I had an empty gun (had enough birds for one day). It flew around the bend and cleared the trees. Dogs had quite a challenge with the crippled drake. All three were swimming around after that diving bugger. None have much experience with that kind of thing. Opal got so frustrated that she started barking, but she finally nabbed him. With both ducks in hand I headed for the new hayfield behind the trees to see if the dogs could find the honker. I wasn't totally sure it fell but could see no other reason why it would lock its wings after I shot. Worked the dogs up the field about half a mile on one side and then came back down the brush fence line towards where I parked my rig. Found it belly up about fifteen yards from the trees at the end of the field. I figure it didn't quite clear the timber when it died.

I have taken quite a few triples in my time but never a mixed bag of geese and ducks. As a bonus, the hen mallard was banded! I haven't shot a banded duck since the 70s.

Comment

I got a doe and a tag a long with one shot. Did not know the tag a long was there.

Comment

a turkeys and a doe and a buck same day 20 min apart in new york. I was hunting a hill on the very back of my families farm and shot a turkey then when carrying the turkey back to the house I spotted a nice 8 pointer in the far field. I slid a slug into the gun and managed to get a 65 yard shot. I walked back to the house with the bird throwing my gear into the back of the toro planning to go get the deer and dropped the bird into the walk-in to deal with later. me and my cousin went back for the buck when driving back to the buck we jumped a doe in the closest field to the house. i grabbed the shotgun, loaded a slug, kneeled down and shot in one motion dropping the now slowly trotting doe roughly 70 yards away. note they are farm tags so i can take more then one dear in a morning or evening or could at the time (this took place almost ten years ago) and some my say the it is way too much meat but i have a large family and most of he meat was gone by that christmas.

Comment

I once shot a black duck and a green winged teal out of the air with one shot. It was a one in a million, the black was behind the teal and completely stole the smaller birds silouhet. Knowing ducks you can apprieciate that the green wing is comparable to a fighter jet in comparison to the blacks bomber like flight. I was very grateful that a man know for his honest reputation was paddling the conoe or no one would have believed it! Had I waited half a second in either direction the birds never would have been aligned. Neither were crippled.

Comment

Took a merganser, shoveler, and buffle head in the space of about 30 mins last January

Comment

Popped a "trip" on teal about two years ago.
              Caught 'em on a small farm pond behind the house.
              Three clean, one shot kills. Had my shotgun not bern plugged, I could have gotten a couple more. But alas! Federal law!
              Ducks gotta get up, upwind.
              The wind was pretty strong out of the north. I approached behind the dam from the south.
              The wind was strong enough to lift the out of the water but they couldn't gain any speed agsinst it. I picked off two stragglers, late on the flush. With the second shot, the entire flock turned 180° and came back to me at about 30 feet high.
              Last bird to clear water hung dead in the air momentarily to turn and follow. Hit the ground almost at my feet.
              Amazing duck and dressing with home pickled beets, fresh blackeyes out of the freezer and green onions! YUM!

Comment

My dad is more of a fisherman than hunter (he can drink beer while fishing). He has the unique honor of having killed three deer in his lifetime while only shooting at one. The first deer was with a 2002 Ford Explorer. The other two he took with one bullet by accident as they were lined up so perfectly he didn't even know the other was their until they dropped

Comment

1 miles square area, walk the drainage at sunrise take limit of ducks and rabbits, go back to truck to unload and stock back up on ammo and go back in and limit out on dove and quail.

Comment

There's a photo in my profile of a muley buck I shot Thanksgiving morning a few years back. On the way out I stopped with my lab pup, Opal, and hunted the lower end of same property. Had a limit of three roosters in about forty minutes. And very thankful it didn't take longer. Brrrrr, was it cold!

I once killed twin forked horn muley bucks with one shot and they weren't even standing together. A crazy ricochet (and the last time I used 165 grain bullets in my 30-06!). Also shot a spike bull elk and cow in the same shot. NOT what I wanted! Didn't see her but I really had no choice if I had. He was hit and I needed to finish him. She caught just a piece of the bullet between the ribs that hit her heart.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad