Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First goose of the year. Finally. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First goose of the year. Finally. See first post.

First goose of the year. Finally. See first post.

This is the third attempt. Haven't even fired a shot till today. Seeing lots of geese but only two fields in the whole valley have been harvested. We had a very late spring and now a terribly wet fall. The grain is all rotting on the stalks. A shame. These guys are mostly dairy farmers so they are chopping it for the silos or baling it. But they can't even get the cut stuff to dry out long enough to bring it in. A real mess everywhere. The geese do not particularly care for windrows in the fields. So most are hitting the sod farms or hay fields. Very hard to hunt them in that stuff.

Well, tonight I took the dogs out late in the afternoon to the one harvested field. Saw hundreds heading that way earlier this week about six in the evening. The weather was spitty and overcast today with a bit of wind. Got set up in plenty of time and waited. And waited. Not a bird in the sky! Finally I took a nap. Got up about 5:30 when it started raining on me. Decided to stretch my limbs and walk the dogs down the edge of the field. Had just got started when a roar went overhead. About nine or ten honkers glided over and dropped into my deeks like they were hypnotized. Never circled once and didn't make a peep. I'm carefully looking around to see if I can duck into the wall of brush behind me when the dogs bolted. Oh well, it's the first encounter for the season. The decoy set was about seventy yards away. No hope of getting a shot with the dogs running at them. Darned if Pearl didn't almost catch one. They stood there like idiots till the last second. Flew about 150 yards out into the next field (windrowed grain cover crop over new alfalfa) and set down again! Well, that won't do. Gotta get them up or anything else that comes will bomb into them and ignore my decoys. I walked out with the dogs. Hmmm. They saw me but didn't get up. Got to within fifty yards before they finally took flight. I knocked one down and then wasted a second shell. Darned thing took off again and darned near got airborne. And the race was on! Opal blew the doors off even the Britt pup. What a pile up when she finally collided with it! Pearl was there in a second or two and proceeded to bring it in with Opal hanging onto a wing. Good to see them still cooperating. It's a very large honker! Close to fifteen pounds I'm guessing. Settled down to wait for the rest of the evening flights but nothing happened. Only other bird I saw was a magnificent golden eagle soaring over the decoys. By then the sun was slipping below the clouds behind me and that eagle was lit up like a beacon against the dark rainclouds. What a sight! I still have a bird to clean and thankful that it's only one. My age is catching up. I'm REALLY pooped tonight.

Comment

I'd say the season's off to a great start for you, Opal and Pearl! Let the good times roll.

Comment

your behind the 8 ball OHH, ive been hammering them for 3 weeks in MI!!! me and my buddies had a slow morning, had 2 killable birds and we got both of them. saw quite a few up in the jet stream though.

Comment

It has finally cleared up today (Saturday) and I expect the farmers are this afternoon trying to do something with the crops in the fields. However, they are all quite religious folks and I don't expect them to continue through tomorrow (the Sabbath). I haven't heard any geese flying in town either. Have a feeling the locals may have just departed. Might have to wait for things to get frosty before the northerns come down. If there's nothing for them to eat they will just pass through.

Comment

Congrats on the start of another season OH! You never know with geese. I've had bluebird days when I waited all day with nothing in sight only to have it turn into one of the best days of my life in a few minutes. Perseverance seems to pay in this game. Have a great season.

Comment

im having the same issue as well OHH...they are just starting to cut corn here in MI and the birds are absolutely swarming those first cut fields. its just hell to get permission on them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad