Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys. Any tips for the fall turkey season here in Southwest VA? Hens and gobblers may be taken, and I'm going to take what I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys. Any tips for the fall turkey season here in Southwest VA? Hens and gobblers may be taken, and I'm going to take what I

Hey guys. Any tips for the fall turkey season here in Southwest VA? Hens and gobblers may be taken, and I'm going to take what I can get. So, any tips or tactics that will possibly make my hunt successful?

The best way I've found is to simply shoot them from a deer stand while archery hunting. I get at least one shot opportunity every year by just deer hunting.

Comment

There are two prescribed methods for fall turkey hunting.
      I suppose you are aware that in the fall, flocks are normally all hend or all toms? They're in "winter" mode. Not something the birds strictly adhere to, but a general rule.
      1. Find a large flock of birds and bust them up. Sit down and wait about 10 minutes. Then start doing "regroup" calls. If there is a problem with this, it's that they may come from any direction.
      2. Pattern a flock. Flocks have daily "routines". Specific places to feef, water or dust. Almost like clock work, they will be at those places at a specific time.
      Example:
      I went in to a deet stand early one day. About 2:00PM. As I approached, I saw a flock crossing under the fence in front of the stand.
      The next day, I went to the stand about 1:30PM. Sure enough, the flock showed up a tad before 2:00PM and crossed under the fence.
      The NEXT day, I went back with a shotgun instead of my bow. At 2:15 PM, I had a nice 17 pound tom!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad