Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had the pleasure of hunting over a great set of English pointers for our upland bird opener this weekend. What is your favori

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had the pleasure of hunting over a great set of English pointers for our upland bird opener this weekend. What is your favori

I had the pleasure of hunting over a great set of English pointers for our upland bird opener this weekend. What is your favorite breed of hunting dog?

Of course, Ah izza Black Lesser Newfoundland, AKA St. John's breed of water dawg.

And Ah lub a good English setter!

Comment

Beagle. I just love to hear that howl while they are circling rabbits.

Comment

My favorite breed of bird dog is the German Short-haired Pointer.
        I've owned two very good ones.
        The Brittany is a close second.

Comment

German Wirehaired pointers. I have grown up with them all of my life. I intend to get one of my own after college. They are extremely versatile dogs. Love them for upland birds and they do fine retrieving waterfowl as well.

Comment

im a brit man myself.

Comment

My favorite breed of Can-do it-all are Labrador Retrievers, They luv to hunt and will lick-you and luv-you to death.

Comment

Same here Treestand.

Comment

I have owned and hunted with Brittanys since 1975. These are good PA grouse dogs and are even better pheasant dogs. I had one outstanding Brittanny that would retrieve and search in water, a rare dog for this breed. Two years ago ,I purchased a German Wirehaired Pointer(Deuche Drathaar). I put her in the NAVHDA system and last week she scored UT Prize 1, Max score. This GWP has the makings of the best dog I have ever owned. I wills be leaving in two weeks for Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota, hunting all the way.

Comment

I have always been a lab guy but picked up a French Brittany two years ago. She is working out great! The three dogs hunt very well together. And the Brittany is nuts about water if it's warm enough for her. She isn't getting much chance for retrieving with the two labs but she will pick them up from time to time. We'll be hunting geese next week till they leave at the end of October and then drive back to Montana for six weeks of pheasant hunting. I can hardly wait!

Comment

I've been fortunate enough to have beagles, English pointers and setters, and German shorthairs. All were great in there own way. A breed doesn't make a good dog. The amount of time and effort a trainer puts into a dog is what makes it. Saying that I have a fondness for the GSP's

Comment

Black lab for ducks, geese, quail, doves and pheasants. The labs can do it all extremely well but the pointers, etc. just can't retrieve ducks and geese in the water when temps drop below 25 degrees or so.

Comment

Won't argue that labs are good cold water retrieving dogs. Most pointers just don't have the coat for very cold weather retrieves. However, my nephew has a big 85# GWP that happily retrieves in cold water to the point of ice hanging off his testicles.

Comment

The best all around bird dog to me will always be the Brittany Spaniel, bar none! I have owned several and they are very close hunting dogs with light dry mouths and are not afraid of the water either as my even retrieved ducks for me on a small pond! In Hawaii, you could kill 40 dove a day and I had one there that would sit at my feet and watch the dove fly over and "boom" would get it, bring it back, drop it at my feet and sit and watch for the next one! Awesome dogs for sure!

Comment

The guy I hunt with is a trainer, he prefers English pointers and setters over German shorthair pointers, though he does have all three types in the 26 pointing dogs he trains and runs. He also has some of the finest black and tan lion hounds I have ever had the opportunity to hunt with.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad