Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This spring I decided to try to train my lab. Hour long sessions lasted about a month then bass fishing kinda took over and I ha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucks and Clucks
    replied
    YOu have a great dog. I wish my mutt would remember just one lesson I taught her.

Leave a comment:

• canvasbackhunter
    replied
    Thanks took her out again tonight. Filled out a 15 bird limit, she retrieved about ten, 3 of which were in water, the other seven were in chest high grass, and I wouldn't have found them without her. My buddy was set up 75 yards down, and she worked for both of us, going back and forth while we shot. He was thrilled that she brought them to him, not me. Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging, but I have never hunted with a good dog, I am thrilled! Can't wait for duck season now!

Leave a comment:

• ITHACASXS
    replied
    To answer your question: both. She is a good dog who remembered what you taught her. Wait until she goes toe to toe with a sneaky/smart rooster pheasant or finds that wing-tipped mallard that sailed over the marsh dyke.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    You are very lucky. Many dogs do not like to pick up doves. Good luck with her.

Leave a comment:

• CJ
    replied
    Every Lab is a potentially good duck dog! Just have to wake up the instincts.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    This dog is a keeper.

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    A lotta dwwgz will do simple retrieves like thet with no training.

You haven't scratched the surface yet!

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Sounds like you have a WINNER.

Leave a comment:

• canvasbackhunter
    replied
    Should read "tall grass"

Leave a comment:

• This spring I decided to try to train my lab. Hour long sessions lasted about a month then bass fishing kinda took over and I ha

This spring I decided to try to train my lab. Hour long sessions lasted about a month then bass fishing kinda took over and I haven't trained her since. I took her out dove hunting yesterday just to give her some exercise. I shot a double in small grass, and lost track of both. My dog retrieved them both, without command, and had a really soft mouth. Then today she retrieved two on command out of a pond and another in tall grass. Do you think the training payed off, or does she just have really good instinct? Potential duck dog?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Elitist rule....
    by labrador12
    Snowhole, I refuse to recognize your status, however I grant you the self appointment to the bowl the turd is currently swirling around. Enjoy the trip...
    Today, 07:33 PM
  • Elitist rule....
    by FirstBubba
    ....is destroying America.

When Obama said in his campaign speech that he wanted to "...fundamentally change America as we know it!...",...
    Today, 02:26 PM
  • Reply to Real Quiet
    by fitch270
    Help wanted signs everywhere but nobody wants to work. Haven’t heard much push for a minimum wage hike lately, won’t/don’t need to.

Today, 07:26 PM
  • Real Quiet
    by jhjimbo
    Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
    09-17-2021, 12:23 AM
  • Reply to Kentucky bow hunter...
    by franchi20
    I understand that jealousy rears up when big horns are claimed. The prelude mentioned an Indiana high fence outfit. This mess has the potential for making...
    Today, 07:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X