Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it better to hunt doves in corn that is standing or corn that has been cut/bush-hogged specifically in a small field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it better to hunt doves in corn that is standing or corn that has been cut/bush-hogged specifically in a small field?

Is it better to hunt doves in corn that is standing or corn that has been cut/bush-hogged specifically in a small field?

Hunt cut corn, by all means. The doves need some grain on the ground to feed on, and they can't get to the corn when it's still on the cob and in the shuck.

Comment

Bush hawged.

Otherwise there is no way for them to eat the corn.

Ah nevve seen a dove climb up a corn stalk, rip off the husk, and pry the kernels offa de cob.

Comment

Ok, wasn't sure. The other day I spooked a bunch of quail/dove and it was all still standing. But I had originally thought I would bush hog it.

Comment

Ditto~~country road & bayouwoof

Comment

Bushhog. Maybe leave some standing. If you sit still with your back up against the corn on the shady side that's a good enough blind for doves. Later in the season you can chop the rest and you might attract fresh birds.

Comment

Do be careful though because without disking under after cutting, having corn on the ground in some areas might be considered as "baiting" because there was no evidence of an attempt to harvest the corn. The law here in Alabama lets you hunt doves over areas where seeds or grain such as corn was scattered solely by normal agricultural "harvesting".

Comment

Unless you have a dog to retrieve your birds, hunting doves in corn is pointless. I hunt every year in standing corn fields but you have to know where. First thing you have to hunt the edges of the field, typically there is corn and a cut wheat field next to one another and I set up in corn but shoot the doves over the wheat stuble. If you don't have this option the next best thing is to find where the deer have trampled down a section of corn to eat and set in that hole. That is my favorite it is up close and personal! You have to be on your game when doing it this way because they drop in like rockets and if your not ready they are gone in a blink of an eye!!!

Comment

santa-We did harvest it, And got lots of corn. But there is still some corn that wasn't worth taking at the time or for whatever reason got left. Normally, we pick the corn, let it sit, then bush hog it down for our winter garden. But we are putting our winter garden in a different place this year, so I have corn for my first dove hunt. Really looking forward to hunting dove for the first time though. Thanks everybody!

Comment

You can be standing but the corn better be down.

I do hunt squirrels next to standing corn. Catch them in an open area about 30' wide with a big ear of corn in their mouth heading for the hardwoods. Fast action as they are usually in a hurry.

Comment

Agree with hunting over cut corn. I hope there is a tree near the field. If so, hang about a dozen dove decoys (or home made dove silhouettes cut out of Masonite) in a tree if possible. When the leaves are off the trees the doves see these for miles and come to feed. It also gives them something to home in on so you can sit under the tree. The last hour before sundown will be best!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad