Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a one shot 20gauge shotgun and i just cant seem to hit them.I try to shoot doves but just keep missing and missing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a one shot 20gauge shotgun and i just cant seem to hit them.I try to shoot doves but just keep missing and missing.

I have a one shot 20gauge shotgun and i just cant seem to hit them.I try to shoot doves but just keep missing and missing.

Welcome to the "Hair pulling, screaming,crying, pouting, insanity". We call dove hunting. Try shooting clays for practice.Good luck(you'll need it) and good hunting.

Comment

Try a different size choke on your gun.

Comment

TAKE A SINGLE FULL PAGE NEWS PAPER AND PLACE IT OUT ABOUT 30 YARDS OUT AND SEE WHAT KIND OF PATERN IT SHOOTS AND IF THE PATTERN IS CENTERED ON THE PAPER

Comment

that's right clay! also..try some different chokes!

Comment

All good tips, but that single shot you have likely points like a woodstove. What is it? How long is the barrel?

Comment

Shane and Clay are exactly right on that one. You need a better gun or a rib (costs more than the gun) to give you a better sight plane. Aiming most single shots are like looking down a ski slope. Practice shooting skeet it's much cheaper than clays. AND always keep you eye on the "bird" and don't try to aim the shot. If you do you will shoot behind every one of them.

Comment

I have a 870 Wingmaster and I hit my target most times. I use a mod. choke most of the time. Last weekend I shot 18+ cowbirds, a crow, and 5+ pigions. I used 7 1/2 shot and 8 shot.

Comment

try some skeet and practice alot

Comment

Test your pattern like Clay advised to make sure you are not blowing a pattern with a ruined choke. Most likely, your choke is OK. You are probably missing them because they are one of the most difficult birds to shoot on the wing. Doves are one of the fastest game we shoot next to teal. They fly about twice the speed of a clay pidgeon. Tune up on clay pidgeons to get used to your shotgun. Then go out and shoot at doves as much as you can. If they are crossing, you need to lead them a lot... pull out in front of them about two feet and shoot. Keep pulling out further with a longer lead until you hit one. If they are cruising at forty yards, they may take a three foot lead or more depending on your shot size. You should be using 7 1/2 shot to fill the pattern and have enough momentum to make it 40 yards. Once you are able to hit doves consistently, you will probably never miss a pheasant. Compared to a dove, a pheasant flies like a five gallon bucket. Hang in there and don't give up... Most of us missed a ton of doves before we figured it out.

Comment

Practice passing shots with skeet or sporting clays. Match choke to average yards you are shooting. Check gun fit and dominant eye.

Comment

I remember getting to this dilemna as a kid myself with a 20 ga. Do you follow a lead while shooting doves? Also, the size shot and the pattern influenced by the choke will play a role in your hunting. If its not any of these, just practice trap and skeet constantly. Its what I did, and I got better.

Comment

These guys are right. Test pattern your gun at about 30 yards and see where the majority of the shot hits. If you can't make a determination with shot ,try a rifled slug ,same distance, over a rest. If your not centered on the paper a gunsmith can fix your problem easily. Virtually all gunsmiths have a shotgun bbl. bender and they work very well with little effort. I did one about a month ago for a friend and it took all of 15 minutes to center his 835 Mossberg. I always suggest that the owner stay around to do the testing. I'm a wicked wimp and those shotgun shells off of a bench rest hurt! The golden years are a lie.

Comment

I HAVE AN OLD ITHICA,SINGLE SHOT 20 ITS SERVED ME WELL.STILL BRING HER OUT.TO HUMBLE MYSELF AND TO SAVE SHELLS.THESE GUYS ARE CORRECT.TESTPATTERNS,AND PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. GOODLUCK.

Comment

try just shooting skeet or something for practice, if ur shooting i would lead them about 3 1/2 feet and keep swinging youll hit them just stick with it. we need our new generation being hunters.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad