Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will be near Cody, wyoming late Sept-mid Oct. I would like to do some grouse/partridge hunting. The accesss to open hunting ar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will be near Cody, wyoming late Sept-mid Oct. I would like to do some grouse/partridge hunting. The accesss to open hunting ar

I will be near Cody, wyoming late Sept-mid Oct. I would like to do some grouse/partridge hunting. The accesss to open hunting areas confuse me. I have been on the web checking maps and other information. Is there anyone out there that could give me first hand information in hunting this area for upland birds? I will have wife, RV, and bird dogs. Your info would be greatly appreciated.

Drive over into Montana. That's where I hunt birds every fall. It's easy to track the publicly accessible land available there. Quite a variety too: state land, "school lands", BLM, federal bird refuges, and, best of all, Montana's block management lands. Those a private ranches that get paid to allow public hunting. Several ways to find out what's what with the hunting land in Montana. The Fish & Game offices have very nice maps of each district that are color coded. Also, an outfit publishes an atlas that is more detailed. And finally, you can purchase a GPS program that will show you which lands are available as you're driving around. It will even tell you who the landowner is so you can look him up and phone for permission if it's not block management (and a good number of amenable ranchers who are not block management will still give permission to hunt).

Comment

huntinggpsmaps.com contains the information about public and private land. I have the SD card for wyoming that works with my garmin oregon GPS. It works great. Another option is to get a gazetteteer for wyoming, it is simliar to an atlas book that has all the blm, national forest, etc. outlined. A quick call to the regional biologist would be my first start if I were in your shoes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad