Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What shot size and choke should I use for Duck and, what about geese? Also, Am I correct in thinking that 7 1/2 is good for both

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What shot size and choke should I use for Duck and, what about geese? Also, Am I correct in thinking that 7 1/2 is good for both

What shot size and choke should I use for Duck and, what about geese? Also, Am I correct in thinking that 7 1/2 is good for both dove and quail?

Allah that choke and shot business has been recently covered.

Ah use AA Target loads #8, 1300 ft/sec for birds.

Comment

Ducks 2 3/4" 4's, Geese, up the power to 3" BB or 2's lead, doves 6's and quail the same. These vary depending on how much they have been shot at and what your set up is. See what other guys are using and how they are doing and that will give you some idea for your area.

Comment

For doves i use # 8's in early season, in late season i use # 6's because of the pressure they will typically be farther out. For ducks in early season i use #4's because I mostly see wood ducks and teal. Later in the season I will use #2's when mallards are a more common sight.

Comment

Won't speak about the waterfowl, I quit hunting them when they outlawed lead.
          Dove and quail I'll use anything between 6's and 9's. The smaller the shot, the denser the pattern. Pattern density kills.

Comment

Can't add much to Bubba's comment above, except to take the time to pattern your shotgun. Different choke/load combinations behave differently out of different guns. Where one may throw #8 shot in a cloud, big gaps may occur with, say 7 1/2 or 6 shot. It is a worthwhile project to shoot a few shells at plain white paper, and eyeball the results.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
              by crm3006
              From honk the phony- " even though Browning conveniently glues an instruction diagram inside each fore end. Yeah, right.

I'm still waiting
              Today, 03:11 PM
            • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
              by derek7
              Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
              08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
            • Reply to 16 Years
              by PigHunter
              Thanks. Yep, I try to not be too lazy, was last in the gym on Wednesday lifting weights and walking on a treadmill. Another thing, I refuse to pay for...
              Today, 02:36 PM
            • 16 Years
              by jhjimbo
              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
              08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
            • Reply to 16 Years
              by Ontario Honker Hunter
              Pighunter, I would hardly say your working life has been sedentary. Probably as many job shifts and almost as much education in maybe the same amount...
              Today, 02:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X