Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a 12gauge benelli nova. I am going to hunt the maryland early goose season next month. What choke, size shot, ammo should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a 12gauge benelli nova. I am going to hunt the maryland early goose season next month. What choke, size shot, ammo should

I have a 12gauge benelli nova. I am going to hunt the maryland early goose season next month. What choke, size shot, ammo should i use? What decoy setup or calls or whatever should i also use if i am just hunting by myslf? But really im mozt interested in the first question.

Full choke; 3" mag BBs; 1 dozen shells or full body decoys will do fine if you're field hunting; two dozen or more if you're hunting over water; I use a goose flute call (Primos cheap one) and it sounds great. Takes a little bit of practice but the sound is much better than short reed varieties. If you're field hunting you will likely need a layout blind as well. If no dog and hunting over water you will need boat and maybe a spinning pole with a plug. Give me more details about what kind of hunting you anticipate.

Comment

Actually, modified choke may work better. Pattern the gun and see what looks best.

Comment

Actually, modified choke may work better. Pattern the gun and see what looks best.

Comment

The Nova has great potential!

Sent mine to Magnaport and got it ported and forcing cones reamed.

Installed longer choke tubes.

Then it wuzza no-miss gun.

And the action is as slick as snot on a doorknob!

Comment

The pluralities are actually correct, cuz Ah sent them a 12 ga and a 20 ga.

Comment

i use 3"shells,#2 shot, and a Full choke but sometimes its about personal preference and what your gun shoots well

Comment

For those 3" shells you'll need something with 1500 fps velocity or better. I have the best luck with 1550 fps. Remington has some new stuff out that's 1700 fps. I'm quite sure my old 870 fixed full won't take that kind of pressure but your shotgun should handle it fine. Now, how well your shoulder handles it may be another matter. Anyway, with steel shot speed kills. Anything less than 1500 fps is money thrown in the trash.

Comment

Also, I think #2 shot would be pushing it. I would not advise anything smaller than #1. #2 is fine for hevishot if you can afford it. It was great with lead but those days are gone. With steel shot the rule of thumb is jump up at least one size over what one used with lead (and, of course, all the gas you can put behind it). Hence #4 lead for mallards becomes #2 steel, etc.

Comment

OHH -- Am I reading right that you've successfully been using goose-sized shot in a fixed full 870 for years with no ill effects? Can you elaborate on your experience? (I'm interested because, when I was getting into hunting, I bought a tubed gun specifically because Dad's old gun was fixed full and I was told it wouldn't be safe to shoot goose-sized steel through it.)

Comment

You're okay to shoot steel through full choke fixed on most older guns as long as you don't shoot anything larger the BB shot. Some guns scrimped on the barrel metal and you have to watch out. My Browning Light 12 A-5, for example, would probably not be safe to shoot steel shot IF it had a fixed full choke. It has a fixed modified which is always okay to shoot steel in any event. I have been shooting steel through my old fixed full 3" mag 870 for fifteen years and I still can't see a scratch in it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad