Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I see Sandhill cranes every morning in FL where Im working. I know you can hunt them in several states. FL not being one of them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see Sandhill cranes every morning in FL where Im working. I know you can hunt them in several states. FL not being one of them

I see Sandhill cranes every morning in FL where Im working. I know you can hunt them in several states. FL not being one of them. I also hear they are fine table fare, ribeye in the sky. It really get my primordial blood pumping! They are HUGE! Do any of you guys have any experience hunting them?

Sandhill cranes are endangered species in Ohio.

Note: Sandhills are one of the oldest species of birds, dating back 2.5 million years.

Comment

when my daughter was little, we would get Sandhills in our front yard, she would hand feed them. that was in Royal Palm Beach, FL

Comment

Sandhills are rather tasty, I pass shoot them but they do decoy well. I know a guy that just throws out 2 or 3 decoys and does pretty well every season.

Comment

Sandhills are rather tasty, I pass shoot them, but I know a guy who just uses 2 or 3 decoys and does very well every season.

Comment

From what I recall, the Sandhill Cranes in Florida are a resident, non-migratory population, much smaller than the population that breeds on the Canadian prairies and migrates up and down the central flyway every year. That population is big enough to support some limited hunting. Travel along the Platte River in Nebraska at the right time in the spring and you can see literally tens of thousands of cranes stopping off on their northern migration.

Comment

I have seen them hit by cars/trucks not much to eat
              JMO~~ I would not wast a shot on them!

Comment

I pass shoot them been lucky the last few years to find a two fields they are trading back and for in the a fence row with tall vegetation in it. A friend once told me the only way crane hunting could be more fun is if they burst into flames on the way down, he's right. They are tasty too.

Comment

Just submitted my draw and waiting to see if I'll get another license this year. To see just how huge they are check out my profile where I have a photo of me holding last years. It is as tall as I am. And the name "ribeye of the sky" suits them.

Comment

Checked out your picks Dave. I have to say forget Miller, you're living the highlife!

Jimbo, they are considered an endangered species here? I would have thought otherwise. Last several years since I've gotten into waterfowl hunting I would conservatively estimate I have seen well over 100,000 fly over. I remember the first time I heard them, I had no idea what they were. My first thought was snow geese (which I still have yet to encounter one to date) but the guy that got me into waterfowl hunting told me they were sandhill cranes migrating. That time I saw about 12 separate flocks with well into the hundreds each flock flying over closer to the moon than earth!

Comment

Just checked the ODNR website and they are in fact an endangered species here. You have any clue as to why when there are so many that pass thru every year? Or is that the reason? They don't actually reside here in large populations as they did in the past. Interesting anyhow.

Comment

Dcast,
                        I think the DEC wants to see if the cranes will establish themselves in Ohio - along the shore of Lake Erie as they once existed.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I am starting to get a bit obsessed with them as I see them every morning. Looks like they would be more like hunting a beast rather than fowl? This may be a doable hunt to put on my bucket list. Where are you Ontario, thought sure you would have some input?

Comment

No offense but if you want to hunt a sandhill crane you must a be a weenie lol hunt something that will actually flee or give some chase! What kind a hunt is it when something stands there and let's you shoot it?!

Comment

Not to mention they live up to 37 years and have only one mate until that mate dies! Why would you shoot something that is able to have that intelligence? That is like hunting someone's husband or wife. I am not against hunting but COME ON REALLY?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad