Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This fall I am wanting to start waterfowl hunting and I was wondering what is the best shot size for ducks and geese.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This fall I am wanting to start waterfowl hunting and I was wondering what is the best shot size for ducks and geese.

This fall I am wanting to start waterfowl hunting and I was wondering what is the best shot size for ducks and geese.

# 2s is what I use for every thing just make sure you get a load going at least 1500fps.

Comment

#2's are a good all round load. I use 4's for small ducks like woodies and teal, and maybe size BB for some Canada's.

Comment

You cant go wrong with #2 shot or #2*4 mix shot @ 1700FPS

Comment

2 on geese, 3s on mallards and blacks. 4s on woodies and teal. Speed is important, but pattern density and shot distance are much more important to me. Good luck, it's one of my favorite hunts going!

Comment

#2 is what I use on ducks. #3 would also be a good all round size for ducks. For geese you will want something just a little bit bigger, like BB shot.

Comment

#2 Blackcloud is all I shoot.

Comment

Steel shot: for geese BB, for mallards/blackies #2, for other ducks #4. Don't shoot any steel less than 1500 fps velocity. Speed kills with that stuff.

If you can afford the heavier non-toxic alternatives, the scale is entirely different. #2 for geese and #4 for all ducks.

Comment

BB and BBB for geese, and 1, 2s pass shooting for ducks and 2 & 3's over dekes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad