Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you hunt waterfowl without a dog? I've never done so, so I was just wondering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you hunt waterfowl without a dog? I've never done so, so I was just wondering.

How do you hunt waterfowl without a dog? I've never done so, so I was just wondering.

The same way you do with a dog except when you shoot a duck you go get it instead of your dog. When hunting without a dog make sure to not take any shots where a duck will fall that you can not get to in your waders or a boat if you have one.

Comment

Same as upland, or you could do a float trip. Float a river with a friend in a canoe, person in front jump shoots.

Comment

I've always hunted waterfowl with a shotgun. The dogs always got upset when you try shoving shells up their butt and a "choke collar" does nothing to improve patterns! (too tight a choke and the dog has a hard time breathing. )

Comment

Just focus on smaller watter. Try to hunt shallow marshes and swamps that you can wade. And try to get them to come towards the shore. Another stratgey is to try to find some AG fields near a good water source and take them in the fields away from the water. Mallards love corn!

Comment

If you can find small farm ponds that can be stalked, your shots will be mostly over dry land when the ducks flare up and away.

Comment

Wind will blow them to one side or another if your hunting a pond. You might need waders, which are a waterfowl hunting necessity in itself, but otherwise your fine. I've never hunted waterfowl with a dog and honestly I think hiding one would be more than its worth on late season birds.

Comment

A dog saves a ton of work if you are hunting over water. If you don't have one, I'd suggest that you focus your hunting efforts to locations where the waterfould feed if you can. Ducks and geese go out to grain and grass fields to feerd and you can set out decoys and lay in the field. You can also ambush them as they cross fence lines or weed patches on their approach to feeding areas. You can also jump waterfoul on small farm ponds and small rivers and creeks. If you hunt over open water, you will need a boat or waders at a minimum. Even then you will lose downed birds.

Comment

A fishing pole with a floating lure with big treble hooks.

Comment

Buckhunter just beat me to it. A good sized bassoreno plug with a spinning outfit worked well for many of my friends when I was a kid ... if they didn't come get me and my dog instead.

Comment

I watched a young kid use a fishing pole, and a lure with big trebles...after the 2nd duck retrieved I had to talk to him when I had a chance.

Comment

Only set up in water you know (really know) you can wade. Also,avoid shooting at ducks over thick weeds etc, this holds true when field shooting too because a duck is a pro at hiding anywhere there is cover(clover, calf -high grass,you'll almost never find that bird).I pick my shots so they will drop in the open or semi-open water, you'll find these openings in lots of marshes. Use an open choke and let the birds light in your dekes if you can. I also have a telescoping pole for picking up decoys and when the water is a bit deep. You can find them where ever waterfowl gear is sold. They work great.

Comment

One more thing, even though I did it a lot when I was younger; it's not a good idea to go wading around in the marsh alone. Maybe I'm getting old, but that's how I feel.

Comment

Hi...

Since YOU will be the retriever, you will probably need either hip boots or waders...plus being able to move your boat in the close proximity of the waterfowl.

However...if you're a real good swimmer...!! (Which reminds me...do you wear your life jacket while in your duck boat?).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad