Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright guys I did some scouting, and heres what I got. There's a couple different spots that im thinking about. I found some tu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright guys I did some scouting, and heres what I got. There's a couple different spots that im thinking about. I found some tu

Alright guys I did some scouting, and heres what I got. There's a couple different spots that im thinking about. I found some turkey crap at a spot on the edge of our property its a little dense in there, but not terrible. Next is this open area down in a valley with dense growth on both hills, but its open and I can see pretty good, and another spot is another open area looking down on the place I just described. I went back to get some lunch, then when a get back I see a hen putting around in a dense area on a deer path. Where would you guys sit?

I by no means have turkeys figured out but I have always had my best luck hunting the edges of green fields.

Comment

Any chance you can set up in the morning or evening and listen for some gobbles? That would be your best bet/indication as to where you should set up. I also like to just sit out at night and see where they may be headed to roost. Its getting a little later in the season, so you might have a chance of getting a lonely gobbler since most of the hens are on the nest right now. I would try sneaking through the dense stuff and calling every few hundred yards to see if you can get a active one to run your way.

Comment

Do you know how to "roost" a turkey? This has always worked for me. Hope this helps.

Comment

Be there on a high spot or hilltop just before dawn and listen for gobbling. If you can use an owl hooter that is the best time for a good "who cooks for you who cooks for you aaaawwwwwwwlll. If you can kind of roll the last few notes that really helps to get a tom gobbling early in the am. This works best on calm clear mornings. If windy makes it harder to hear and if weather is bad birds usually don't gobble much. If you loacate a bird while it's still pretty dark you can sneak to within 100 yd or less and set up. Wait until he flys down. you can tell by the sound of wings flapping if you are close or the sound of his gobbling will sound alittle different after he is on the grouns. I covered where to set up earlier.

Comment

Keep in mind because of fear of predators birds like to fly down in an open place like a meadow.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                by Amflyer
                Thanks for letting us know. There's no words. Sometimes I wonder if what's between humans and dogs may be the perfect bond, at least in this existence....
                Today, 10:26 AM
              • More Bad News....
                by WA Mtnhunter
                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
              • Reply to 16 Years
                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                "... not a racist except in that I support the white condition without being a nazi or white supremacy nut." So you are a racist, just not a...
                Today, 09:38 AM
              • 16 Years
                by jhjimbo
                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                by FirstBubba
                Yes sir, he is....
                Today, 07:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X