Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever tried waterfowl hunting from a kayak? If so what do you know about it? Could this work? I have a good hunk of ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever tried waterfowl hunting from a kayak? If so what do you know about it? Could this work? I have a good hunk of ca

Has anyone ever tried waterfowl hunting from a kayak? If so what do you know about it? Could this work? I have a good hunk of cash saved up for either a good used jon boat or a new kayak with a trolling motor. I'll be turing 16 halfway through the season, so is it even legal for me to hunt in my own vessel? From what I understand I can also hunt any "navigable canal". Is this true? Do you think I could fit some decoys on the kayak too? What about the possibility of just using it as a boat to get myself deeper into the refuge or over canals that the guy that are walking can't cross? I had a knee surgery last week and would rather be in something that floats for that reason this season. So should I just get a jon boat or will the kayak work? All thoughts are appreciated as always, thanks!

It can be done, but for stability i would get a john boat or a canoe.
    The kayak can be used simply for transportation but unless you get a huge one, it won't carry too many decoys. If you do get a kayak , get a life preserver for you and your gun.

Comment

I have both a kayak and a jon boat. I would only hunt out of my jon boat, my kayak is purley recreational. You won't be able to get any gear in your kayak. I'm not sure you haven't mistaken a kayak for a canoe. I would go with the Jon boat. It's versatile too so you can fish with it to.

Comment

Get the jon boat. First off, it is safer and more stable. Second, you can get more gear like decoys. Third, you can get blinds that mount to the side of the boat. That and good luck trying to fit 3 people into a kayak. I hunt out of a jon boat, and when i need to get somewhere special, i use a canoe. As for being old enough, I am sure you are, but check your state regs.

Comment

Years ago my older brother and I went duck hunting down a slow moving stream in the Jersey Pine Barrens.
          He was riding shotgun in the front of the canoe with me paddling and steering in the back. When you hit a bend in the stream the ducks would see us and fly upward. After an hour we what rotate and I would ride shotgun. We had a blast! That was my favorite type of duck hunting.

Comment

I’ve used a kayak to get in to duck hunting areas many times. Works fine, but you need a large enough kayak to carry decoys, etc. When I was young we had a big two-person Klepper kayak. We also did a lot of jump shooting on rivers – two guys trading off – one paddling in the stern and one in the bow with the shotgun. We had lots of fun and bagged plenty of mallards, teal and wood ducks that way. But like others have said, most kayaks aren't really designed for that kind of use, and a canoe might be a better choice.

Comment

You just can't beat a Jon-Boat with Life-Jackets, Dogs and Decoys,Guns,Ammo,Food,Hot-Coffee,Its all about having FUN...Don't Cheep-out it makes for a crappy-day!

Comment

not a kyak but as a kid I used to float rivers in a canoe with my family hunting ducks and canadian geese. Worked well until the river would freeze over in the winter and you make too much noise busting ice.

Normally it allows you to float silently, in the bends and backwaters we would find the ducks and by the time the spook and take off, they were in range

Comment

Gary, thats the only kind of duck hunting my dad will do now. That was the first kind of hunt I ever went on, in a canoe.

Comment

I wouldn't use a kayak for all the above reasons. Also I've had good luck with a john boat. But keep in mind a layout boat looks somewhat like a kayak and I've seen guys using them murder mallards and sprigs. Just keep in mind most are one man only and carry only 1 0r 2 doz dekes which should be plenty. To a duck it probably looks like a floating log. Layouts are usually camouflage painted and the kayaks I have seen are usually brightly colored. Maybe what you meant was a layout.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with kayaks as long as you get the correct one. I bought a Future Beach Trophy 126 that is decked out for fishing and has been used for duck hunting. It is OD Green has high sides and is very stable. In the live well to the rear of your seat you can fit around 2 dozen floating ducks maybe more that's what I have. I put my gun between my legs, I want to find a gun holster of sorts to mount to it. If your just doing a float trip you don't need dekes. The one must other than you life jacket is a paddle keeper, that way you can just drop your paddle grab your gun and blast without your paddle floating down river or just away from you.

As I mentioned you need to get the correct kayak and one for just paddling around isn't the correct ones. They have low sides and are much less stable. My kayak mentioned above is more for fishing/hunting while the one I got my wife is more for paddling around for fun.

Comment

It is now illegal to hunt from a mobile boat. However long ago, I thought it was legal (I hope) and thought my little kayak would position me wonderfully for low passing Mallards on a tough to reach little pond. Of course I never thought about the recoil of my 3 inch 12 gauge with hot and heavy hand loads. I quietly paddled to a nice concealed spot near an open patch of water... perfect! I couldn't wait for the first flock and thought I'd discovered a gold mine!

A nice flock of mallards approached low to the water from my starboard side. This just looked to good to be true. I easily drew a bead on the leading drake and fired my first shot. I never even saw whether I hit him or not! The kayak flipped over so fast I took me a second to realize what had happened. Somehow it seemed like instead of a flock of ducks, I was now aiming at nothing but water as I dangled upside down beneath my overturned kayak in freezing water.

I thought for sure I was going to die of hypothermia on the return cruise. It was back to the drawing board for me and that is the last time I ever shot from a kayak. Obviously, I'd recommend a Jon boat too.

Comment

I would rather have a canoe than a kayak, but the only shooting i'd do out of the canoe is floating a river. otherwise, it is easy to paddle to the shoreline or a previously set blind, hide the canoe with some camo burlap, and shoot while standing. like DakotaMan said, it is easy to tip over while shooting. in a canoe, it is also easy to portage over land where people walk, and also cross small streams.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                            by PigHunter
                            I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                            Today, 02:16 PM
                          • Cheaper Than Dirt
                            by jhjimbo
                            Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                            Today, 12:21 PM
                          • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                            by fitch270
                            I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                            Today, 01:40 PM
                          • 300 yard .22lr
                            by jhjimbo
                            Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                            Today, 11:28 AM
                          • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                            by jhjimbo
                            I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                            Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X