Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was looking for some advice on how to hunt snow geese in South Dakota this spring. I do not have any decoys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was looking for some advice on how to hunt snow geese in South Dakota this spring. I do not have any decoys

I was looking for some advice on how to hunt snow geese in South Dakota this spring. I do not have any decoys

Not a snow goose hunter, i dont see many, but i hunt ducks and canadas. I think you may want to invest in decoys. If you set up where they want to come in you can do some pass shooting, but it will take a lot of scouting. From the few flocks i have seen they fly high, so you will want to get them as they are landing or coming in.

Comment

A quality spread of snow goose decoys is a huge investment. Not to mention you will need an electronic caller. I wouldn't suggest buying either unless you plan on doing a lot of snow goose hunting over many years. Secondly even if you have 1000 decoys and a $500 electronic caller you are going to have to scout. Snow geese are extremely wary and put simply they like to be where they feel safe and where their friends are. And if your hunting spots are limited your going to have a hard time getting on the field the geese want to be in. If you have the gear and the access to spots not to mention hours upon hours of free time to spend scouting and setting decoys up then you may be successful. Otherwise Ive seen people use the terrain to stalk huge flock of birds down in fields then pop off 5 shots once they get within 50 or 60 yards. Id say thats your best bet without decoys.

Comment

Another option is to find a good guide. Do it yourself hunting is more fun but snow goose hunting requires so much gear using a guide service makes sense. It costs money, sure, but it's a lot less than it costs to outfit yourself for a snow goose hunt.

Comment

Not much of a goose hunter, but I'm a duck hunter, and all the gear can get very expensive. If you don't have the gear I would suggest trying to find a family member, friend, church member, etc and have them take you with them. Offer to pay for gas, buy breakfast, and offer to help out! Good hunting!

Comment

In Nebraska we hunted them in a Federal Preserve where we were brought in on wagons to existing blinds with only a limited number of shells. The limit was very low at that time, one Canada and some Snow and you were done. The Preserve had an estimated 300 to 400,000 birds in it. If you have something like that where you are it may be worth a try to see how it is done.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad