Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is it best to shoot a turkey at for a shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is it best to shoot a turkey at for a shotgun?

Where is it best to shoot a turkey at for a shotgun?

Where the feathers meet the skin on the head.

Comment

Head and neck area.

Comment

head

Comment

Within 20 yards aim at where the feathers meet the neck like canvas said, but anything farther than that I always just aim right for the head. That technique has never failed me yet (on birds that I didn't choke with at least lol)

Comment

I have shot all but two of mine in southwest AL, the other two in TN.

Comment

What canvasback hunter said: the feather line. It's nice distinct aiming mark and it doesn't bob around like the head does.

Comment

Defanitly go for the head or neck line, those feathers are really tough to penetrate. They will just bounce off the biggest turkey shells.

Comment

Not in the freezer section at the grocery store - trust me - they don't like that!

Comment

Where the feathers stop going up the head. Head/Neck area.

Comment

Where do you shoot them? From a stand. And I usually use a big enough guage I can hit them in the arse, and break their neck.

Comment

All my Turkeys were Shot in Fl. With a Marlin .22Magnum Rifle in the Neck/Head area, Check your Local Game Laws if you can use a Rifle for Turkeys in your State (less meat Damage:>)

Comment

clinhknot

i usually stalk them or wait for them to come to me on the ground

Comment

The neck where the feathers stop and the wattles start.
                            That white head makes a pretty good target when it's all you can see!
                            I use Hi-Velocity Win 7 1/2 shot. It only takes one in the spine to do the job. I've killed turkeys from 5-10 yards out to about 40 yards.
                            I shoot a Rem 870 with an Extra Full choke tube.

p.s. - with that xtra full choke tube, there ain't much room for error at 15 to 30 feet!

Comment

rfleer87 And I usually wiggle the fingers on my left hand, and when the gobbler focus on my twitching left hand fingers, I grab them around the neck with my right hand...saves on shells.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad