Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dog is the most foul smelling dog i have ever encountered. I can't even pet her without my hand stinking afterwards. She has

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog is the most foul smelling dog i have ever encountered. I can't even pet her without my hand stinking afterwards. She has

My dog is the most foul smelling dog i have ever encountered. I can't even pet her without my hand stinking afterwards. She has always been an outside dog, rolling in dirt, puddles, and anything dead she can find. I have tried several shampoos, and they work, but then she goes and rolls around on the ground and a day later stinks again. I think she does this because she wants a "natural" scent. Do you have any suggestions on something i could use to rid of the oder that she would like?

You might want to try the de-skunk formula. It works almost 100% on skunk smell on a dog. I've also had luck with it when my dog has rolled in something nasty that shampoo wouldn't touch. It's a quart of hydrogen peroxide, a quarter cup of baking soda, and two tablespoons of dish soap. It foams up. Rub it over the dog. Let it sit 5-10 minutes and rinse. It's basically scent free.

As far as getting a dog to stop rolling, good luck. Over the years, my dogs have been either rollers or eaters of dead things. Female dogs seem to worse rollers than males for some reason. Dogs and people live in different worlds of what smells and tastes good.

Comment

Had a lab with a smell problem,I took the dog to my vet and found out he had a skin infection. It caused my dog to scratch causing bleeding and smell,he also rolled around in everything foul he could find,try a vet it did help my dog.

Comment

Solution:...Use the solution, and then keep control of your dog. Mine are fenced in, and nothing to roll in, but digging, and such activity are a sign of anxiety, being left alone. Mine are family members, and that solves a lot of problems.

Comment

It is pretty common for dogs to want to apply perfume to make them smell exceptionally well (in their eyes). A couple things come to mind:
          1. Don't dump or bury smelly garbage anywhere around. Regular dirt doesn't stink but garbage does... pretect your garbage from access by your dog.
          2. Train the dog to stop rolling in garbage or dirt. When you see them do it, give them negative feedback right away. They won't think it is so cool if you are upset by it.
          3. Pmacc60 has good advice. If he always smells bad, he might have medical issues. Have him checked out.
          4. You could build him outside quarters so he can smell anyway he wants without bothering you. It is rare though for a lab to smell that bad.

Comment

Take a dog, down to the river fishing for Salmon when there are dead salmon washed up on the beach, and your dog can die getting into a dead Salmon south of Alaska. They can get Salmon poisoning found in the head of salmon I do believe, and you are lucky if they only stink. Had my lab roll in one, and my buddies dog died from getting Salmon poisoning in WA ST. His was a Yellow Lab. Alaska? No problem getting sick. I think because the water is colder.

Comment

clinchknot, I feel your pain... I had the wise idea of burying salmon carcasses in my vegatable garden like the Indians used to do (so I was told). I thought it was working great until my dog dug them up and rolled in the rotten carcasses. That was the most foul smelling (but happiest) dog I have ever seen.

Comment

canvasbackhunter
                Google Dinovite
                They have some products for bad odor.

Comment

I had a dog that would would roll around in anything. She even rolled in a pizza box one time. It was kinda funny. But she would roll in anything, even if it had no detectable smell (for me of course). But she would roll in old pine straw. She surprisingly didn't smell that all the time, just some of the time.

Comment

i would recommend the de-skunker that my family has always used, it is just taking a bottle of tomato juice and washing the dog in it

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad