Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of you have advice on crow hunting? I do not have a call. I know it sounds stupid its just we have to many and it gives m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of you have advice on crow hunting? I do not have a call. I know it sounds stupid its just we have to many and it gives m

Do any of you have advice on crow hunting? I do not have a call. I know it sounds stupid its just we have to many and it gives me something to do in the off season.

A noble pursuits. Crows eat Pheasant and song bird's eggs and young. The only good they do is eat road kill. This is a good bait.

Comment

You need to get a cheap Crow call and an Owl to put on a 12'or 15' 3/8 PVC poll, mount the owl on the PVC poll now your ready to Crow Hunt or Blast after the first kill put the D/crow at the foot of the Owl....Then the Blasting starts. need one Owl Plastic or stuffed...one crow call.....shotgun....Ammo you can put the owl on a fens post,They will dive at the Owl.

Comment

Any kind of crow hunting is fun but I'd make the following suggestions to help a little:

1. Get an electronic call if you can because they cut loose with a crow riot that is difficult for one person to immitate with a mouth call and they respond accordingly with aggessive attacks.

2. Use an inexpensive owl decoy if you can to give them something to focus their rage on so they hang around ever after a shot or two. Set it on a fence post or low hanging tree limb so they dive down closer.

3. Hide! This is probably the most important quarry for camo. Don't move until you are ready to shoot. They pick up movement as well as a Canada goose. A head bob can flare them from a quarter of a mile.

4. Practice straight overhead shots if you can. Have a buddy throw clay targets straight over your head. I've never seen so many overhead shots hunting any other game. Usually when you jump they are right over you. When a flock comes in, they like to stay very high and dive bomb your owl.

5. Use small shot (6-7 1/2) but a modified or full choke. Some shots are close but they get out of range quickly with a cylinder choke.

6. Bring 12 inch wires and stake out fallen crows as decoys on the ground around your owl. I run the wire up from the chest to the base of their skull and stake them out. It tends to hold the aggressive flock for extra dive bombing, even while you are reloading. You can spread one out on its back like it has been plundered by the owl... it just gets them more aggressive.

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Someone brighter than I made an observation when I was a teenager that I've not forgotten. On a farm infested with crows, a friend and I took our .22 rifles and set up on a nearby fenceline. The crows disappeared and I couldn't understand it. He commented, "You've got your rifle ready to go and they're avoiding you? Break up the profile of the barrel; there are no straight lines in nature! They can see that when they fly over you." We taped and tied some fabric and foliage to our barrels, covered ourselves a bit, and the crows filtered back. That hadn't occurred to me before, but I'm 66 years old and I still use that technique.
          Owls and crows are enemies. I certainly add a recommendation to the decoy owl. Good recommendations have been offered.

Comment

like everyone has been saying cammo is super important, a owl decoy is great and an electric caller is best but a cheep call will do. Also learn to tell ravens and crows apart and you have never shot a raven! Ravens are protected under the migratory bird act.

Comment

primos sells a really cheap crow call!

Comment

If you have an iPhone, download the iHunt app from ihunt dot com. Hook it to an external speaker and get ready to shoot! An owl decoy is good but not essential.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                  by PigHunter
                  Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                  Today, 06:44 PM
                • How do you fly ?
                  by jhjimbo
                  Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                  Today, 04:18 PM
                • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                  by PigHunter
                  Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                  Today, 06:35 PM
                • Handgun Laser Sights
                  by PigHunter
                  On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                  08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                  by PigHunter
                  Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                  Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X