Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am planning on hunting bluewing teal this fall. I have a half dozen decoys. Should i mix it up and put my woodduck or mallard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am planning on hunting bluewing teal this fall. I have a half dozen decoys. Should i mix it up and put my woodduck or mallard

I am planning on hunting bluewing teal this fall. I have a half dozen decoys. Should i mix it up and put my woodduck or mallard decoys with them? Should the species be seperate?

You have half a dozen teal decoys plus mallards and wood ducks, or a half dozen total?

I have found that teal decoy to just about anything and have no problem coming into mallard decoys. I wouldn't hesitate to use them at all.

I have never used wood duck decoys, so I can't say if they would help or hurt.

Comment

Sorry, Half dozen teal, two dozen mallard, four wood ducks.

Comment

Teal will come into mallard decoys just as well as they do teal decoys. All I ever used wasis mallards and got my limit of teal every time I went out. Wood ducks on open water where teal congregate look un-natural. Woodies like small shallow ponds in heavely forested areas. You can try them but I would leave them at home.

Comment

I have seen big flocks of woodies on big sloughs when they're getting ready to migrate. But generally you are correct about that, Dakota.

I also agree that teal generally decoy well to mallard deeks. Trying to hit those little trapeze artists when they're coming in is another matter! Be sure to take lots of ammo!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad