Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I stay safe while turkey hunting, I heard you cant wear hunter orange because they can see it. How do you stay safe whil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stay safe while turkey hunting, I heard you cant wear hunter orange because they can see it. How do you stay safe whil

How do I stay safe while turkey hunting, I heard you cant wear hunter orange because they can see it. How do you stay safe while calling so you don't attract other hunters to make a dangerous situation. I would hunt private property that may have a few other turkey hunters on it and I want to make sure me and my dad would stay safe, so any pointers or tips?

If possible talk with the other hunters before hand to let them know you're around. Keep your backs up against a tree and don't call while moving.

Comment

Wear orange to and from your spot. Take it off when in your spot. Do not move (that is the hard part). I use an inner tube from a wheel barrow to sit on. If you hear a gobble, don't stalk it. It could be another hunter. If there is a turkey hunting seminar in your area it is worth it to attend. Stay safe(i have a yellow sticker by my safety that says this) and good hunting.

Comment

You can wear an orange hat or vest while moving. When you get on a bird, don't stalk it...this goes for both gobblers and hens. Sit and wait for it to come to you, but keep your orange somewhere you can get to it fast. If you see another hunter, yell to them first, then flash your orange.

Do not wear red, white, blue, or solid black.

Comment

Well after being denied several times to sign and and post being regected because of the same contect Bioguy01 posted. I give up on this site. Good luck people. "avoid the colors" Red White Blue , don't return or chase after calls give by Gobblers. It could be a hunter calling you in. Know where you hunt and put something between you and the bird always watch your back..

Comment

i can keep an orange skull cap under my camo one so i can pull my camo off my head if i see/hear someone coming.always shout to anyone coming before you move though

Comment

ive been turkey hunting for a bit, and ive never encountered another turkey hunter, chances are you probably wont either. i wouldnt lose sleep about safety while turkey hunting since you seem to be quite concerned based on your recent posts. as stated above, if you are overly concerned, wear orange when moving, but thats the extent of it.

Comment

They Make hats with Camo Front and Blase Orange in the back and the same with a Turkey Vest, best is to leave a Note to were you will hunt.

Comment

I agree with the guys above, I wear an orange hat and gloves while moving to another turkey location, or heading back to the vehicle. If turkeys can see the orange that's tough. I am not getting shot. No bird is worth losing an eye or getting killed with a shot to your head. When I get to my hunting spot, I take the orange off and put the camo back on.

Comment

During the fall season in Pennsylvania you have to wear an orange hat and vest while moving and wrap an orange band around a tree when sitting. I don't think color scares turkeys as much as some people believe. It's more movement and being silhouetted than anything else. I've had turkeys walk within 10 yards of me numerous times in deer season wearing an orange hat and vest.

Comment

98.6, didn't you and I already discuss this? Gary nails it above, nothing in the woods is worth catching a load of shot, if there's any possiblity of running into somebody else, wear the B/O when necessary.

Comment

Addenedum - when you take a bird you should also put it in some sort of bag so it doesn't flop around as you walk and attract unwanted attention from another hunter, or at least wrap some bright colored flagging tape around it. You can't be TOO careful.

Comment

Put some blaze orange tape around near where you are hunting on trees so people know someone is nearby. Safe hunting, Seth

Comment

I started using the www.bestturkeydecoy.com last year and it scares me on public land. Looks so real I may go back to hens only on public.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                              by crm3006
                              From #1 Bubba- "What you two clowns know about immigration law and citizenship requirements wouldn't fill a sewing thimble."

Hey,...
                              Today, 09:51 PM
                            • 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                              08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                            • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                              by crm3006
                              What? Exposed your ignorance about Auto 5s, did I, little man? Gonna pout, and hold your breath 'til you turn blue?
                              Today, 09:45 PM
                            • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                              by derek7
                              Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                              08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by 99explorer
                              So tell us, blubber, is Kamala Harris a U.S. citizen or not?
                              Yes or no.
                              No speeches and no insults.
                              Today, 09:36 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X