Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a 13 year old kid who wants to know everything about turkey hunting because I want to go turkey hunting this spring. What g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jalenalgood
    replied
    I'm 12 years old, and have never killed a turkey. I have seen some hens, and jakes, but never close enough to shoot. My dad lets me call sometimes, and I like using a slate call. I've tried mouth calls but I need more practice. I like the HS Strut Lil' Duece glass slate call with a carbon striker. Go to midwestturkeycall.com They have a lot of good calls and stuff you might like.

Leave a comment:

• thehunter98.6
    replied
    Ok , ill just get a owl-locater call.

Leave a comment:

replied
    No, it's not loud enough, you're talking about reaching out sometimes hundreds of yards, and too, I think a squirrel bark is too subtle, if you will, it doesn't have that shock effect. You need something that smacks him and triggers a response, just don't get too close to do it.

Leave a comment:

• thehunter98.6
    replied
    Sorry to keep you here so long but would a squirrel caller work as a locater call. Just to save money by not buying another call.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Something in their mentality makes them gobble at sharp, sudden noises, usually early in the morning or late in the afternoon, don't know why unless it's a show of aggression. They've been know to gobble at car horns, thunder, hawks, owls, most anything along that line. Kill a 20-22# spring gobbler with 10-12" of beard with 1 1/2" or longer spurs and you've got a real keeper.

Leave a comment:

• thehunter98.6
    replied
    And also how big are wild turkeys typically?

Leave a comment:

• thehunter98.6
    replied
    I found a good locater owl call and a box call on amazon. I cant wait till turkey season starts.

P.S. Why and How does a locator owl call make a turkey gobble

Leave a comment:

replied
    You are most welcomed. I have developed a serious interest in helping kids like you get started so I am enjoying it and no, I haven't told you everything you need to know, I gave you the bare bones basics as I see them. As stated above, everything that you think you know will go out the window one day with one bird, then work perfectly a couple of days later with another, which is where, why, and how you continually learn about this great game animal and what makes them tick. Do keep me posted, and good hunting!

Leave a comment:

• thehunter98.6
    replied
    007 , I think you just told me about everything I need to know about turkey hunting. I appreciate all your help and after turkey season I will post how me and my dad's season went.

Leave a comment:

replied
    One last thing, you'll need a locator call to make ol' thunder shock gobble in the early mornings or late evenings. Everybody and his uncle uses a crow call so don't do that, go with a barred owl, pileated woodpecker, or even a peacock call, something to make him gobble but not start your way until you're open for business. Some folks like coyote howls but I'm just not sold on that, I think it spooks them. And do NOT mess around with a gobbling tube until you're a little more familiar, good way to either spook the bird or attract some fool who shoots at sounds.

Leave a comment:

• thehunter98.6
    replied
    Thanks everybody! Now all I have to do is wait till april for the start of turkey season.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    98.6, 007 is right as usual about the diaphragm calls and driving. I ran a concrete barrier in a parking garage all the way down the side of my truck fooling around with one. About 3K worth of damage. D'oh!
    And I still sound like a constipated goose.

Leave a comment:

• Ga hunter
    replied
    Also don't forget your Benz 101 tick spray! That's the worst part of turkey hunting is the chiggers and ticks that are out and about. I would also recommend stepping on the turkeys neck when you shoot him. You'll see people on TV just run up and grab the turkeys after they've shot them but I would not do that! Their spurs can really hurt if you got caught. The reason for the boot is just to put them down quicker. But again, watch out for their spurs. As long as you do it right you'll be alright.

Leave a comment:

replied
    98.6, it took me several years to get that first one, I called one in just so far and he took off when the old boss bird showed looking for a fight. Shortly thereafter ol' boss ran into 2 oz's of #6 copper coated. I was blessed to have two real turkey hawks take me under their wing, pun intended, and I learned volumes from them. Be patient, it will take time, be happy with little victories if you don't close the deal the first year, and enjoy the spring woods, a fine and shining time to be out. It will come but there is a lot to learn and become proficient at, but trust me, it is all worth it. Good hunting, young one.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    i cant speak for 007, but i didnt seal the deal my first year even though i didnt call and had good mentors doing the work for me. my second season i went off by myself and got a nice one on the second to last day (this was hunting every morning before school, most days after school, and all day on the weekends). didnt kill one my third year (i missed a decent bird on the opening morning and never had another one in close rest of season, that was on me), and ive killed one every year from my 4th season on, also im always calling in birds for other people that were killed after i filled my tag. once i fill my tag i will never tell someone i wont call for them, even though i dont have a gun i feel the more time i can spend in the woods calling and hunting them the better it makes me for next season.

i dont know if this is a viable option for you, but when i first started out, before turkey season rolled around, i put on my camo and took my calls and walked to the park next to my house. its big, and theres tons of game, especially turkeys. i would try and call in birds in the park. that was invaluable.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad