Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We found an area we want to try out on the lake but there is a makeshift blind built there already. Its public land so really it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We found an area we want to try out on the lake but there is a makeshift blind built there already. Its public land so really it

We found an area we want to try out on the lake but there is a makeshift blind built there already. Its public land so really its first come but it don't look like anybody has hunted it in a couple weeks. If they show up after us they are more than wekcome to join but i was wondering what you would do. I dont have a boat so we are walking and cant just go anywhere.

I ran into a similar situation this year. We set up a hundred yards down the bank of the blind. Nobody came by, and it was opening weekend. As long as you don't hunt in the blind, hunt it.

Comment

If you're there first, then it's your spot. Setting up a blind, a tree stand, or any other equipment on public land does not reserve that location. I would do what you plan to do. If they raise a stink, the you be the better man and move because it's not worth getting hot headed over something so trivial.

Comment

Offer to move. If the other guys have a boat they may be able to help you with finding another spot. They have no proprietary rights on public land but you should recognize and acknowledge the hard work and materials they put into setting up the blind. It's fine to use it if they aren't there but only a slob hunter would hog it after they show up. If you take a respectful attitude they might even let you hunt with them. And you might just make some valuable friends!

Comment

All good answers to a good question. Remember, good sportsmen always find a way to accommodate each other.

Comment

I was Hunting P/Land Back in the Day and came across a old wood tree stand, I used it that opening day, by lunch time an older Hunter came by and claimed it was his stand! I said SORRY I'll move....He said stay kid, I have a newer Stand down the Trail.
            Now that's a Sportsmen.

Comment

taz

This late in the season, I doubt there will be any "claimers"
              BUT! I'd try to locate a lake authority. Sometimes people buy "permits" to erect blinds. Yes, normally, they have to be removed after the season,. Don't know about Keystone, but sure won't hurt to ask questions!
              BTW! Sometimes those "permits give you exclusive "rights" to a specific "sweet" spot!

Comment

Squatter's rights. If they built it's it's theirs. Maybe you'd leave your number in a zip-lock bag in the stand/blind etc., if they don't take the time to call you, then they shouldn't take the time to care who hunts it. that said, it is still public land, legally, it's yours to hunt as much as theirs, so if you choose to use it, make good and sure you respect it as if it were your own. Or better.

Comment

Here where we waterfowl hunt, the dnr has blind drawings. So in essence, if you were to hunt someone else's blind you are trespassing, and therefore subject to a fine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                    by 99explorer
                    So tell us, blubber, is Kamala Harris a U.S. citizen or not?
                    Yes or no.
                    No speeches and no insults.
                    Today, 09:36 PM
                  • 16 Years
                    by jhjimbo
                    So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                    08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                  • Reply to 16 Years
                    by FirstBubba
                    Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                    Back on topic, we see that misinformation about Harris's citizenship status is playing a major role in...
                    Today, 09:29 PM
                  • Reply to Gun safe
                    by jhjimbo
                    This is the F&S magazine site, not the Field and Stream store....
                    Today, 09:05 PM
                  • Gun safe
                    by Swenthms
                    Problem opening my gun safe
                    Today, 08:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X