Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is the first year ive been drawn for turkey hunting. What should I look for when trying to find the best place to sit for t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the first year ive been drawn for turkey hunting. What should I look for when trying to find the best place to sit for t

This is the first year ive been drawn for turkey hunting. What should I look for when trying to find the best place to sit for turkey season.

if your not using a blind or tree stand, sit with your back to a tree, strategically placed so the turkey will be coming in front of you. make sure the tree is wider than your shoulders. when you get there, kick out any leaves or loose sticks from underneath you that could cause a noise to disturb a turkey and scare it away. be comfortable, you could be sitting there for 2 hours.

Comment

Wear total camouflage even hands and face. Always try to sit with your back to a large tree. It gives you a backrest and also protects your back from being shot by an idiot. Sit on a nice thick cushion so you son't get too uncomfortable in 10-15 minutes Try to always sit in the shadows/shade birds will bust you much faster in the sunshine. Try to find a spot where you can see to shoot and the bird will be in range when you see him. Be very still and always assume there is a bird out there looking for that hen (you) that you can't see. I guarantee you far more birds see you than you see them. Use a good pair of binoculars. If you hear a bird and decide to sneak closer understand you must stay completely out of sight to have any chance for success. Be patient, be very patient. It may take him 30 min to get curious and decide to wander over and visit that hen. Don't call too much. If necessary time yourself-2 sets of 3-7 yelps spaced 10 seconds apart every 10 minutes is usually plenty. People that call lots thinking more is better don't eat much wild turkey breast (unless you are one of my friends I gave him a bird haha). When you have to move do it s-l-o-w-l-y and if a gobbling bird is coming in aim the shotgun where you expect him to appear BEFORE he comes over the hill. When you are confident he is in range and the gun is on him wait for him to raise his head then shoot at the place where skin and feathers meet (about center of neck). I have recently posted several stories about birds taken this year and in past years. There are some tips in those stories. Suggest you read them and go hunting every chance you get. You can find them by clicking my username, going to my profile page and looking thru "answers" and "comments". Hope this helps. Beekeeper has a wealth of knowledge if you can get him away from his bees.

Comment

I think the first thing you need to look for is turkeys, or turkey sign. It doesn't do any good to go sit where there aren't any turkeys. You need to scout to see if you can roost them or find turkey droppings or strutting areas. I only say this because this sounds like this might be your first time ever.

Comment

sharkfin is right but I was assuming you had a place to hunt that has a good population of turkeys. Do some scouting. Find out where your birds like to roost. Usually there will be several good roosting sites on a farm. Find the good spot to set up and be there before dawn the day you plan to hunt and hunt all day or til the end of legal shooting hrs. At least half of all the birds I've taken were shot after 9 am and/or came in silently with no gobbling at all.

Comment

Del hit it on the spot and he is a darn good turkey hunter so go with what he says. But in addition, I would look for open areas and try to scout for turkeys before you go out hunting them.

Comment

Plot out where they turkeys are then before the season get a area for yourself about 70-90 yards away from where they roost. It worked great for me try it out.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                  by FirstBubba
                  Ya know bhr!
                  I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                  Today, 03:57 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by FirstBubba
                  "... I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals, fly...
                  Today, 03:40 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  Up to November should be a very interesting time ! The D’s should have a easy time in that any criticism of Harris will result in racism/sexism charges...
                  Today, 03:34 PM
                • Reply to Trump
                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                  That QAnon crap is so far out there. Ridiculous. Unbelievable that so many Americans are buying into it. But hey, why should I be surprised. National...
                  Today, 03:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X