Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to start turkey hunting this spring what gear is good for a beginner? IE vests and calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to start turkey hunting this spring what gear is good for a beginner? IE vests and calls

I'm going to start turkey hunting this spring what gear is good for a beginner? IE vests and calls

well im been turkey hunting for a while
    get a few decoys and good calls
    for you i would go with a box call they are easy to learn how to use and camo that is greener than a fall camo because of the spring
    and fine the place were they a traving thourgh just like deer they take the same trails most of they time
    and you cant move they see every thing
    and if you want to chance the gobble you can

Comment

Badger99 did a pretty good job explaining but if you need more go to the NWTF website or-
      http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/GeneralMenu/

Comment

The setup I like is 2 hen decoys and a Jake decoy. I use a triangle approach. I usually stand one hen and put the other one down like she is nesting, then place the Jake the furthest and facing towards you. The purpose of this is so the Tom will come in and face the Jake, giving me time to draw my bow. Since I bow hunt them, I usually place them at 15-20 yds., but a little further with a gun.

I agree with a box call, very easy to use. I use them to get their attention, but as they get closer, I use a mouth call to eliminate movement. It's amazing how well they can see. I also, use slate calls. Eventually, you will start carrying more calls than you need, but it's weird how they will respond to one call and not another.

If you can afford it, buy a Double Bull Blind, or some form of pop up. I have used the Double Bull blinds in the past, very nice and quick to set up. A little costly, so you could find alternatives.

Every year I swear I am going to buy a vest, but I still haven't done it. Especially if you sit out in the open, get one with a pad to sit on. Believe me it will come in handy.

Comment

Slate calls are pretty easy to use. I hardly ever use decoys and have killed a lot of turkeys. I bought a vest after season was over and they were marked down, you don't really need it you can carry everything you need in your pockets.

Comment

All good answers. As a beginner dont get "too much" gear. I know you can never have enough but just starting out it could get complicated with too many choices. Good set of camo, push button box call and maybe a locator call (crow,owl), maybe a decoy if hunting a lot of open land. Cant go wrong with a single hen decoy. And a good pad to sit on. It can make a hunt a lot more enjoyable when your a$$ isn't numb. The more you hunt the more you can expand your arsenal of gear as you learn their uses. Good Luck.

Comment

Thank you for these answers. I too am new to turkey hunting and ddn't have the first clue where to start.

Comment

this post is also helping me a ton

Comment

there are nice to have things and must haves. the must haves for spring are Good camo, Good boots, and a good vest with a game bag and padded seat. you can do a lot with calls and guns and decoys but if your butt gets sore from sitting on tree roots for hours or your wearing converse tennis shoes instead of good 8" boots you'll be back at camp when you should be hunting.

Comment

I have been turkey hunting for just over 10 years and am buying my FIRST turkey hunting vest this year. I would suggest using the money on calls and camo and giving the expense of a vest a year or so. You will be much more likely to get the one that has the features you personally prefer.

Comment

Agreed with badger99 answer above and A + 1 for you!!!

Comment

Badger99 is right. Where ever you plan to hunt make sure your camo blends in. If it doesn't the turkey will spot you a mile away. They have extremely good eye sight so make sure you where a facemask and full camo. Use a box called starting off. There easier to use. Just remember you can't move and if you have to do it very slowly. Like I said turkey have very good eye sight. Check for tracks because they do follow the same path most of the time. When they fly off the roost they are gonna look for their hens so if you see hens out in the same field for a couple of days straight. Sit out there on the tree line and wait. That Tom is going to look for his hens before going out to feed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Horse Race
                          by Pmacc60
                          You are for sure not a small business man , the Obama administration hurt small business and sent a tremendous amount of jobs overseas. Big business makes...
                          Today, 09:19 PM
                        • The Horse Race
                          by rock rat
                          There are lots of things making this a hard race to predict. Pollsters do their thing and mostly they show Biden up over where Clinton was at this time...
                          Today, 09:43 AM
                          by 99explorer
                          The recession officially ended in June 2009, after economic stimulus checks went out to 55 million recipients in the prior month.
                          The economy continued
                          Today, 09:03 PM
                          by Pmacc60
                          Like you all know I live near Delaware and I work there everyday ! Maybe it’s because we all know Joe Biden it I don’t see the support. Remember he...
                          Today, 08:48 PM
                          by 99explorer
                          "Fake news" is a cop out.
                          I used it once myself to avoid doing research.
                          Today, 08:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X