Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 67, I shoot a 12ga. SBE II for ducks. I've had three back operations, two with massive infections. I have torn both rotator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 67, I shoot a 12ga. SBE II for ducks. I've had three back operations, two with massive infections. I have torn both rotator

I'm 67, I shoot a 12ga. SBE II for ducks. I've had three back operations, two with massive infections. I have torn both rotator cuffs, the right one has been repaired and tore again. I have a great difficulty mounting a shotgun in heavey clouths, especially straight up. By the time I mount the gun to my shoulder and hunt around for the birds it's too late to shoot. My right arm won't go far enough up the stock unless I mount it parallel to the ground then move it overhead, which makes me too late to shoot. I DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH ANY MORE SURGERY. Any ideas? I've done extensive P.T.,to no avail.

I would shorten the stock, It seems you have trouble pushing the gun out far enough to keep it from getting caught on your thick clothes on the way up and into your shoulder. A shorter stock would keep the butt from catching and you would be able to bring the gun up without having to go out as much. I hope this helps and you have many good hunts in the future.

Comment

Have you thought about going to a chiropractor?

Comment

Thanks to both of you. Shortening the stock makes sense. I'm afraid to let a Chiropractor work on me, I had three back operations last year (because the first operation got infected )and my back is fused on the bottom end.

Comment

Thats understandable. My bro is one and they will do xrays before they work on you to see how bad you actually are. They might not be able to help you but at the same time its worth a shot. Im sure if you explain to him what you have been through he wont go jerking on you immediatley.

Comment

I would start bird hunting. probably not the answer you're looking for but its fun and you won't have to shoulder the gun over about 20-30 degrees above level.
            shortening the stock and having a recoil reduction device, Lead or mercury would also help and be easier on your shoulder.

Comment

could you use a thumbhole stock that was shortened or even the handgun style shotguns? My theory would be that you could grip it as tight as possible while bringing up the gun.

Comment

Buy a recoil supressor and go to leupolds website and tell them that you want a tripod gun mount. You mount your gun on a swivel and you can even use one hand to fire. Up,down,side to side.

Comment

Forget about the 12 gauge and the recoil and the weight. Trade it in on a 20 gauge Ultralight. I'll wager that it solves all your problems.

Comment

Shortening the stock and good luck with your back!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad