Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for using a mouth call for turkies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for using a mouth call for turkies?

Practice aloooooooooooooooooot.

Comment

1. Dont be afraid to trim the tape. Take off a LITTLE bit at a time until it is comfortable in your mouth. It will help seat the call properly and make it easier to get the proper tones out of the call.
      2. Talk through the call. To yelp say "chalk-chalk- chalk", to cluck say "chalk" but emphasize the ch and say it short and fast, to purr either growl or gargle and I usually throw a cluck in just before and after the purr.
      3. These are just MY way of doing things. I am not an expert and everybody has thier own style.
      4. And practice aloooooooooooooooooot.

Comment

The above is correct and one other thing. I notice a tendency to overcall when guys use a mouth call. It's so easy they fall in love with their own sounds. Real turkeys don't cackle every 2 minutes and yelp 10 times every minute or two like I watched a friend do the other day. He didn't call anything in either BTW.

Comment

Amen Del! Those guys on the tapes and shows love to power call to sell those mouth gadgets.

The fellow I told you I called up in the Nat. Forest several weeks back was using a mouth call and I swear he sounded like a chimp! OOOH, OOOH, OOOH. OOOH, OOOH, OOOOOOOH, OOOOOH, OOOOH. OOOOH, OOOH. If he hadn't been stalking me it would have been funny...

Comment

Using your hand to change pitch, which takes practice. Can really change your hunt such as making sound as if there is more then one turkey in you group.

Comment

First of all, practice every day. And then when your in the woods if you have a bird coming into you, call as quiet as you could without compromising the sound.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad