Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok i am looking for a new 12 ga. shotgun any tips ( if i should get a thumbhole one or not, thats my main question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok i am looking for a new 12 ga. shotgun any tips ( if i should get a thumbhole one or not, thats my main question)

Ok i am looking for a new 12 ga. shotgun any tips ( if i should get a thumbhole one or not, thats my main question)

I suggest you skip the thumbhole stock on a shotgun if you intend to use it for upland game hunting. One of the keys to good shotgun hunting is to be able to get off a fast shot from wherever the shotgun may be when game jumps. Sometimes it is in your left hand, sometimes in your right. Sometimes it is on your shoulder and sometimes it is balanced and ready. You have to get it pointed at the game and up into your line of sight in less than a second. The thumbhole will really slow you down. Secondly, some of the magnum loads have a lot of recoil and may be capable of breaking your thumb. I have shot a lot of pheasants and quail where my shotgun wasn't yet in an ideal position but I had to shoot before they disappeared in brush and trees. Such shots could be fatal for your thumb. You could get by with it if you just shoot turkeys as they pose for you.

Comment

DakotaMan

May I add, the thumb hole with 3" and 3 1/2 is hell on the thumb joint on recoil!

Comment

i wouldnt get one, i dont like the thumb hole stock, like clay said they are hell on the thumb joint.

Comment

TRUE CLAY! but don't count out the pistol handle grip stock for turkey! it's like a thumbhole stock, it's to some of the same effect.

Comment

I would not get a thimbhole stock or a pistol grip because if you intend to hunt any upland birds or waterfoul the gun becomes to clumsey and heavy. i would get a senthetic stock over a wood stock though because it absorbs a little more recoil and is a little lighter.

Comment

Mossberg 835, NO THUMB HOLE. But you can get an after mkt. colapsible/pistol grip(designed like the M-4). Thats my suggestion. Hope this helps.
              Good luck and Good hunting.

Comment

I would go for more the pistol grip. I believe you would be going after turkeys. But as stated before, the thumbhole does some damage on your thumb. Stick with a pistol grip and you should be good.

Comment

I have a thumbhole stock on my 870 and I luuuuuuuuv it. I have more than once been told I am a bit different though. My recommendation would be that you go to the store and shoulder them all repeatedly. Then you choose the one that YOU like best.

Comment

i'd go with the shur-shot stock on an 870 there like a cross between a thumbhole and pistol grip

Comment

and rock steady at that

Comment

I wouldnt get a thembhole shotgun it would be a great gun for skeet and ect. but for in like a duck blind i wouldnt get it because it would most likely slow you down always having to worry about where you themb is =D

Comment

Sounds good if you only want to break your thumb.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad